What controls idle timeout?

Post by kzembo.. » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 01:23:37

What controls the amount of time before a telnet connection is dropped
if there's no keys pressed for a while? I notice on some of my boxes
that I can be logged in for hours with nothing happening, and the
connection will still be live when I start typing. On others, after 1-2
minutes of no activity, if I try to type, I get no activity, and have
to reconnect and re-login.

Please pardon me if this is a raw newbie question. I'm a raw newbie
sysadmin.

-Kevin Zembower

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

What controls idle timeout?

Post by Dan Bircha » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 07:30:59

> What controls the amount of time before a telnet connection is dropped
> if there's no keys pressed for a while? I notice on some of my boxes
> that I can be logged in for hours with nothing happening, and the
> connection will still be live when I start typing. On others, after 1-2
> minutes of no activity, if I try to type, I get no activity, and have
> to reconnect and re-login.

> Please pardon me if this is a raw newbie question. I'm a raw newbie
> sysadmin.

Some shells have an "autologout" parameter, which can be set to
a given duration (typically in minutes), or to "0" to disable this
functionality.

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley - Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org/
Peruse my opinions, at http://dbirchall.epinions.com/user-dbirchall

What controls idle timeout?

Post by Richard J. Seccondr » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:39:05

for example, ksh uses TMOUT as the timeout value, Try this:   TMOUT=0;export
TMOUT in your .profile, see if that stops the auto logging out...

> > What controls the amount of time before a telnet connection is dropped
> > if there's no keys pressed for a while? I notice on some of my boxes
> > that I can be logged in for hours with nothing happening, and the
> > connection will still be live when I start typing. On others, after 1-2
> > minutes of no activity, if I try to type, I get no activity, and have
> > to reconnect and re-login.

> > Please pardon me if this is a raw newbie question. I'm a raw newbie
> > sysadmin.

> Some shells have an "autologout" parameter, which can be set to
> a given duration (typically in minutes), or to "0" to disable this
> functionality.

> -Dan

> --
> Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley - Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org/
> Peruse my opinions, at http://dbirchall.epinions.com/user-dbirchall
> Corporate Holidays 2001 - http://208.184.171.20/articles/262573.htm
> My addresses expire... take out the hex stamp if your reply bounces

1. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Hello All,

When I telnet or ssh out from my Sun Blade running SunOS 5.9, my
sessions seem to time out rather quickly.  I know it's not the far end
that is disconnecting the sessions, so it must be my workstation.  Is
there someway to set the idle-timeout on outbound (client side) telnet
and ssh connections?

Thank you for the help.

Pete

2. Help with Teac 6x

3. How to disable the idle timeout of my xterm ?

4. NT print requests

5. iijppp Idle Timeout

6. Unknown /var/adm/messages entries

7. user accounting & idle timeout

8. spaces missing when printing arial from Netscape 7 beta via Xprt

9. Idle timeout for PPP client

10. overall idle timeout

11. telnet idle timeout

12. Idle Timeout on Production Server