Need help with command syntax for performing a remote cpio restore

Need help with command syntax for performing a remote cpio restore

Post by Bob Hayde » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what to type to do the following:  I need to
restore a cpio archive from the tape device on machine A to a filesystem on
machine B.  I want to execute the command from machine B.  The cpio command
I would execute if doing this locally is

cpio -icduBv < /dev/rmt/1m

but instead I need to restore from a remote tape device.

Thanks,
-Bob

Post by John Pezzan » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Can someone please tell me what to type to do the following:  I need to
> restore a cpio archive from the tape device on machine A to a filesystem on
> machine B.  I want to execute the command from machine B.  The cpio command
> I would execute if doing this locally is

> cpio -icduBv < /dev/rmt/1m

> but instead I need to restore from a remote tape device.

> Thanks,
> -Bob

Probably something like
remsh machineb "dd if=/dev/rmt/0m bs=5120" | cpio -icBv

Need help with command syntax for performing a remote cpio restore

Post by Frank Slootw » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

  I think you need something like:

remsh tape_host "dd if=/dev/rmt/1m bs=5k" | dd bs=5k | cpio -icduBv

  To see if that will work, first try a listing:

remsh tape_host "dd if=/dev/rmt/1m bs=5k" | dd bs=5k | cpio -icBtv

  If needed, you can read only part of the tape by using "count=..."
(for example 1000, 5MByte) on the first (left-hand dd(1). If the first
part of the listing is OK, then the rest will probably be OK as well.

  The dd(1)'s are needed, because remsh(1) does not guarantee that the
'chunks' written_to/read_from the 'remote pipe' will be all the same
size. The back-to-back dd(1)'s solve this problem.

  By the way, if you still need to write the tape, then you can use
fbackup(1M) instead of cpio (1), and use "-f tape_host:/dev/rmt/1m" for
frecover(1M). That way, you do not need the remsh(1)+dd(1) stuff.

> Hello,

> Can someone please tell me what to type to do the following:  I need to
> restore a cpio archive from the tape device on machine A to a filesystem on
> machine B.  I want to execute the command from machine B.  The cpio command
> I would execute if doing this locally is

> cpio -icduBv < /dev/rmt/1m

> but instead I need to restore from a remote tape device.

> Thanks,
> -Bob

1. Help needed on restoring files from cpio backups, SCO 3.2

Hello,

I did several backups of the filesystem using unscheduled create
within the sysadmsh. I did manage to list the contents of the tapes.
I moved some files to other directories and tried restoring these files
one at a time to their original location from the backup tape using
partial restore within sysadmsh. The restore program seemed to have gone
through the whole tape, but nothing was restored. The backups were done
by cpio.

I am using SCO 3.2 with a SCSI DAT tape drive, 2Mb, from HP.
The following parameters were used:

Filesystem to archive:  /dev/u
Media                   /dev/nurStp0.0
Block size in Bytes:    10240   (default)
Volume size in Kbytes:  2048000 (for a 2Gb tape, tried 2000000 as well))

Can somebody give me some hints on how to restore files from these
backup tapes?

Many thanks,

Chris

2. Screen locks on X shutdown!

3. Ack!! cpio restore command!!!

4. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

5. restore tape created with multiple cpio commands

6. SIOCADDRT and Unreachable Network

7. Help needed: remote restore: cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured

8. Nixdorf Terminal Info wanted !

9. Need to restore Master Boot Record-forgot command-Help!

10. Help - can't restore a folder with tar -xp or cpio -im!

11. Help.... cpio restore and installboot

12. HELP ON CPIO RESTORE.

13. Help needed with resh/rsh remote command