problem with mount cdrom & floppy

Post by Bo Pa » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have Sun workstation, running SunOS 5.5.  I want mount cdrom and
floppy on the system system. I use mount, umount and got message like
this:
# mount -r /dev/sr0 /cdrom
mount: /dev/sr0 is already mounted, /cdrom is busy,
        or the allowable number of mount points has been exceeded
# umount /dev/sr0
umount: warning: /dev/sr0 not in mnttab
umount: /dev/sr0 not mounted

How do I solve this problem. As someone else install the system,  I
don't think he mounted  the floppy in the system, How do I find which
device is for floppy?

thanks in advance.

Bo Pan

1. Problem mounting cdrom on CDROM-floppy hot swap Dell laptop

Dell Latitude C640
Redhat Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14 #1)

I use a floppy bootdisk to boot into Linux since a large portion of my
disk is Windows XP taking more than 1024 cylinders. The problem is
that this laptop uses the same slot for the floppy and CD drive. After
I boot into Linux from the floppy and replace the floppy drive with a
CD drive, I can't mount the CD. "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom returns" says "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"
(/dev/cdrom links to /dev/hdc; but mounting /dev/hd[bcd] makes no
difference). /var/log/messages says "modprobe: Can't locate module
block-major-22". "dmesg | grep -i cdrom" returns nothing.

Then I added "alias block-major-22 off" to modules.conf. The message
changes to "... block-major-33". Then I added these lines

alias block-major-33 off
options ide-cd ignore=hdb
options ide-cd ignore=hdc

Now no more modprobe message in /var/log/messages, but I still can't
mount the CD. Thanks for any advice.

Yong Huang

3. Mount/umount cdrom & floppy, how

4. Where Oracle for Aix?

5. Help with mounting cdrom & floppy drive

6. gdb-4.5, g++-2.1, String "unknown struct"?

7. Mounting CDROM & Floppy Drive

8. DLink Cards

9. User can't mount CDROM & Floppy

10. how can i mount a floppy disk & cdrom?

11. RedHat 5.1 floppy install not mounting floppy ro CDROM

12. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom