console server: Makers?

Post by David To » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I would be ever so grateful if anyone could point me at a console server
manufacturer.

What I am looking for is a box to which I can hook the serial port consoles of a
bunch of machines, suns and sgi's. Then I should be able to telnet to this box and
hook up to the console of a given machine, and maybe also have a look at what has
rolled across the screen in my absense.

Thanks in advance.
--
Hacksaw
--

console server: Makers?

Post by Neil Morga » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Dave

Have you considered using software bfor your console consolidation.  There
are a few good products out there that will allow you to pull all your
consoles on to one piece of glass.  First one that comes to mind is a
product called TOP/X you should be able to find it near you somewhere

Good luck

Neil Morgan

Quote:

> I would be ever so grateful if anyone could point me at a console server
> manufacturer.

> What I am looking for is a box to which I can hook the serial port
consoles of a
> bunch of machines, suns and sgi's. Then I should be able to telnet to
this box and
> hook up to the console of a given machine, and maybe also have a look at
what has
> rolled across the screen in my absense.

> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Hacksaw
> --
> Hacksaw = David Charles Todd
> BBN = Hacksaw's Employer
> Hacksaw's Opinions != BBN's Opinions
> It's hard to (rec'' (e) ni'ze bee''ch)

console server: Makers?

Post by Matt Mullet » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I would be ever so grateful if anyone could point me at a console server
> manufacturer.

> What I am looking for is a box to which I can hook the serial port consoles of a
> bunch of machines, suns and sgi's. Then I should be able to telnet to this box and
> hook up to the console of a given machine, and maybe also have a look at what has
> rolled across the screen in my absense.

> Thanks in advance.

Depending on how many machines you need, you may be interested in the
Xylogics Remote Annex 4000 products.  Fairly scalable, has a LOT of
other features, but works well for remote access to console lines.

--
Matthew S. Mullett   --    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing!

console server: Makers?

Post by Phi H. Truo » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> I would be ever so grateful if anyone could point me at a console server
>> manufacturer.

>> What I am looking for is a box to which I can hook the serial port consoles
> of a
>> bunch of machines, suns and sgi's. Then I should be able to telnet to this
> box and
>> hook up to the console of a given machine, and maybe also have a look at what
> has
>> rolled across the screen in my absense.

>> Thanks in advance.

>Depending on how many machines you need, you may be interested in the
>Xylogics Remote Annex 4000 products.  Fairly scalable, has a LOT of
>other features, but works well for remote access to console lines.

Look at console server software package at ohio-state (or michigan) and web
search for serial expansion box.

1. Console lock up with Lantronix Console Server SCS3200

I am having issues with the consoles on my Sun's.  The problems have
started since I connected the consoles to a Lantronix Console server,
SCS3200.

My Sun's are 2 flavors: serial port is a DB25 connection or a RJ45
connection.

My 220R/280R's use the DB25's.  These consoles work for awhile, but
then the consoles just lock up.  Even if I disconnect the console from
the Lantroix and hook it to a laptop, the console is still dead.  Its
like Solaris has disabled it or something.  But if I reboot the sun,
the console works again for a bit.

My V210's have the RJ45 connections.  They die after a while also, but
with these, if I HUP the console process, the console wakes back up and
starts to work again.

Does anyone have any ideas ?  All of these suns work fine if I do not
connect them to the Lantronix box.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Stronghold and Solaris2.5.1 on Sparc

3. No more X server after GNUStep and window maker install.

4. BUG: animated and fading menus in KDE

5. Terminal Server as Console on a Workstation/Server with graphic Screen

6. Modula-2 anybody?

7. "*FvwmTaskBar: cannot open console" Console?? Why??

8. Samba 2.0.6 and Mandrake 6.1 Cassini

9. USB console possible? Console over IP ??

10. How do I make linux console act EXACTLY like sco console?

11. Change of console Name from syscon to console

12. sb100 won't find console drivers...no console display/dtlogin

13. serial console & real console