Looking for /etc/services port monitoring tool

Looking for /etc/services port monitoring tool

Post by Neil Movo » Thu, 19 Jan 1995 07:49:39

Hi,
        I have a need to keep statistics on how many times a service port has been
hit.  For example, I would like to know how many times a POP3 or FTP port session has
been made on a particular machine.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

                Thanks,
                        Neil :-)

                     \\\//
                     (o o)
------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------------------------
Neil Movold                     Phone  : +1 809 296-1800
Special Operations Consultant   Fax    : +1 809 295-7269
 ( i.e. the guy who has to
        make it all work :-) )

P.O. Box HM2445
Hamilton, Bermuda
HM JX

Post by Jeff Blai » Thu, 19 Jan 1995 23:42:19

>Hi,
>    I have a need to keep statistics on how many times a service port has been
>hit.  For example, I would like to know how many times a POP3 or FTP port session has
>been made on a particular machine.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>        Thanks,
>            Neil :-)

ftp to ftp.ciesin.org under /dropbox/jblaine filename serchk.tar.gz

Enjoy

The README:

Service Checker, serchk
=======================

   serchk, the service checker, is a Perl script which reads in
   a simple configuration file and checks defined hostnames and
   ports for connectivity.  As you may well have noticed, pinging
   a host does not mean it is usable.  Machines can be completely
   wedged and respond to ping requests just fine.  serchk is useful
   to solve this problem (and hopefully many others) because it
   will connect to a normal interactive port (if you tell it to),
   which is a much more reassuring sign that a host is fully up
   and functioning.  serchk is not limited to connecting to the
   standard telnet port though, read on!

   Usage is as such:

      serchk [config_file]

   If no config file is specified on the command line, /etc/serchk.cf
   is used (see Installation below).

Tested Architectures
====================

   serchk should work fine on any system where Perl 4.03x is installed
   properly.

Installation
============

   Edit the file ``serchk'' and substitute the location of your perl
   binary on line 1.

   Edit the file Makefile in this directory.  See the comments there.

   Type 'make' and follow any steps which show up on your screen as
   a result of this process.

Bugs
====

   The double quote character " is used as a delimiter in the config
   file, and as such cannot be used inside any of the expressions
   currently.

Copyright
=========

   serchk is freely distributable with no modifications.  If you hack
   on serchk at your site, I ask that you do not distribute your code.
   If you have relevant and/or useful patches to send me, please do:

--

Jeff Blaine         le0 ni0 et0 en0 ie0 lan0 de0 ec0 ex0 il0 ix0 enet0
CIESIN Operations   ae0 eth0 ln0 -- Standardize UNIX

Post by Paul Southwor » Fri, 20 Jan 1995 01:58:03

>    I have a need to keep statistics on how many times a service port has been
>hit.  For example, I would like to know how many times a POP3 or FTP port session has
>been made on a particular machine.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just run tcp wrapper on it with no access control (unless desired).  Set
a syslogd facility in the tcp wrapper makefile, and log that.  You can
even specify different log facilities for different services, and log
at *.info for the tcp wrapper connection data.

Compiling a report of connections should take you about four lines of
awk or perl and you can run it nitely in cron.

tcp wrapper is on ftp.cert.org:/pub/tools/tcp_wrappers

--Paul

1. Thoughts on network and service monitoring tools

We are looking into configuring a network monitoring tool to monitor
our clients servers and services. We are looking at anything right now
as long as it is open source (ie., Big Brother, OpenNMS, LogTrend).
Anyone have any experience with these tools? I've used Big Brother in
the past and really liked it, but I would like to get other opinions.

What tools do you use for this? What do you like? Dislike?

Regards, Dustin

---

UNIX and Network Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
PGP Key available at http://www.us.pgp.net
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

2. multicast for SOCK_PACKET

3. looking for a /etc/services (patially deleted mine)

4. On-board ethernet on Intel "Panther" Mboard???

5. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

6. How can I tell what libs are built into an executable? (static ldd needed)

7. System/Service Status Monitoring Program (nocol, etc)?

8. [Fwd: Yamaha DS-XG card under Linux]

9. Looking for service monitoring daemon...

10. Tool to probe a port for the type of service listening

11. Looking for some great Apache Monitoring tools.

12. I m looking for a "monitor" tool in oslevel 4.3.2