Problem with starting chooser via xdm

Post by Alexey Koptsevic » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

   Hi to all,

   I would like to ask your help in tuning chooser to offer a menu on
Unix-host. It has been easily tuned for Xterminals that are loaded via
tftpboot from machine with FreeBSD 2.2 and XFree 3.3.1 installed. But
attempt to run chooser on Unix-host (with either FreeBSD 2.2 & XFree 3.3.1
or Linux 2.0.29 & XFree 3.3.2 installed) by running xdm with the following
line in file .../xdm/Xservers
      :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect hostname_of_server
failed. To say more carefully, chooser started, allowed to choose, X from
chosen host started and worked for some minutes, then crashed, and
chooser run again. After some successive attempts xdm crashed itself, and
its process died.
   I guess the reason is in the incorrect configuration. The most strange
for me is that X does not refuse to start in principle, but crashes after
some minutes of work...
   I would be grateful for the answer via e-mail.

   Thanks,
      Alexey.

1. Start chooser with local xdm.

Hi,

I start my FreeBSD box with an xdm login screen (XFree 4.1).  How can I
start with the chooser instead?

I have tried putting:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect thegn
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.

One other thing.  Under XFree86 3.3.6 I would often run xdm on a
headless server but without a local xdm session, ie. no graphical login
on the local machine but serving xdm to other machines.  Now 4.1
complains about the tty respawning too fast if I don't run a local xdm
session.  What's going on?

IanP

2. ccc problem

3. xdm to xdm - where is chooser?

4. What is the point of a mail relay server?

5. xdm chooser mode problems

6. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

7. xdm & chooser Problem

8. Which is latest gcc and as?

9. problems with the chooser on xdm

10. chooser/xdm config problem

11. xdm and chooser problem in Redhat7.0

12. Problem Setting up Linux/Xdm/Chooser

13. Problems with xdm and Chooser