Good book to learn sysadminning from

Post by Martin C. Mart » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm lookin' to learn some things about UNIX system administration.
I've been using UNIX for a couple years now, and I'm the WWW server
administrator on a couple machines, and I need to know how to do
things like mount an NFS disk on the local network, and what all those
/etc files are.  All the machines I'm interested in are running SunOS
4.1.3, so something SunOS specific would be ok, although I'd prefer
something more general in case I run up against other UNIX variants
(I'm hoping to get accounts on SGIs and Sloaris machines soon).  Any
suggestions?  I looked for a FAQ but couldn't find one, so excuse me
if this is a frequently asked question.

Thanks,
Martin

Post by Kenneth L. Hame » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I'm lookin' to learn some things about UNIX system administration.
> I've been using UNIX for a couple years now, and I'm the WWW server
> administrator on a couple machines, and I need to know how to do
> things like mount an NFS disk on the local network, and what all those
> /etc files are.  All the machines I'm interested in are running SunOS
> 4.1.3, so something SunOS specific would be ok, although I'd prefer
> something more general in case I run up against other UNIX variants
> (I'm hoping to get accounts on SGIs and Sloaris machines soon).  Any
> suggestions?  I looked for a FAQ but couldn't find one, so excuse me
> if this is a frequently asked question.

Get _UNIX_SYSTEM_ADMINISTRATION_HANDBOOK_, second edition, by Evi Nemeth,
Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass, and Trent Hein.  It covers hardware and
operating systems, including SunOS, Solaris, IRIX, BSD/OS, HP-UX, and OSF/1.

- Ken

Kenneth L. Hamer     <a href=http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/k-hamer>WWW Page</a>

I'd explain it to you, but your brain would explode.

1. Any Good Books To Learn Unix??

  Help Please

  I would like to learn unix (hear there are lots of jobs??) and was
wondering if there was any way to run unix while running Win. 95. For
example could you make a directory to put unix in and play around with.
Or maybe a second hard drive on same machine and switch over to it to
learn unix. Or will I need a second  P.C.??

  Also would anyone know of any good books or videos from which to help
learn Unix??

  Thanks

  Terry

2. Incorrect Disk Size with "df -k ."

3. good shell-script learning book wanted

4. silly autoconfig problem ?

5. Good C books to learn fork and join

6. Where, oh where, is my little lost eth0?

7. learning dbx/adb &c, good books?

8. Serial troubles

9. What's a good book to learn Red Hat 7.2?

10. What is good book for learning SCO Unix

11. Good Book for learning Sun UNIX

12. What's a good book to learn sh?

13. Good books to learn UNIX (Linux) Administration?