Network Printer

Post by Pat Colem » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have an Apple LaserWriter 16/600ps printer on my network.  I
was able to set it up properly and give it an IP address.
I set up a remote printer on my SPARC 20 that points to it.
Sometime in the middle of printing a job it will just stop
and the system will say that the system(printer) is not
responding.  I can still ping it and telnet to it but  lpq stays
system not responding.  Any ideas?

Pat.

Network Printer

Post by Jim Schimmoell » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I have an Apple LaserWriter 16/600ps printer on my network.  I
: was able to set it up properly and give it an IP address.
: I set up a remote printer on my SPARC 20 that points to it.
: Sometime in the middle of printing a job it will just stop
: and the system will say that the system(printer) is not
: responding.  I can still ping it and telnet to it but  lpq stays
: system not responding.  Any ideas?

I had this same problem and it is in your remote printer setup.
Techically this is not a remote printer in the sense that unix
thinks.  Unix says a remote printer is a printer that is connected off
another unix machine and your request are sent it this machine.
What your machine now is doing issending a spooler request to that
printer and waits for a response to send the data which it never gets.

My solution to this problem was a script given to me by Sequent.
If you are interested in more information reference to the script

Jim Schimmoeller                                    |    Unix, my future and my
System Administrator                                |      shortfall!
Science Application International Corporation (SAIC)|