What causes 'lseek call' failure during backup?

What causes 'lseek call' failure during backup?

Post by Chris Shelhor » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

        I have been having trouble running full backups for a
particular system, and am wondering if anyone out there knows
what might be causing the trouble; I'm at a loss for an explaination.

        The problem has, in the past, always occurred while backing up
the /usr/local filesystem, but recently occured while backing up another
filesystem also.  I had thought that perhaps the problem was isolated to
/usr/local, but...so much for that theory.

This is the message that shows up in the logs:

        backup: The lseek call failed.
        backup: Cannot read /dev/rfslv05 [block 1797989192]: count=4096, got=-1

This message is repeated numerous times, and with different values for
"[block ###########]" and "count=####".

Any insight into this troubling situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

        Chris

What causes 'lseek call' failure during backup?

Post by Dave Mille » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm afraid it looks as if you've a knackered disk. We had this problem - dumps
(usually level 0) would fail with lseek errors. When we used fsck no errors
were reported but the dumps still kept on failing. We even went as far as using
newfs and then restoring off scratch dumps but to no avail. Eventually the
whole disk died and we had to replace it. Since then we've had no problems.

--
D.M.Miller, Computer Services Group
Dynamics Division, GEC-Marconi Radar & Defence Systems Ltd

I'm speaking for myself - not my employer

1. What causes 'lseek call' failure during backup?

[...]

2. an approach to upgrading

3. 'dialog' failure during Slackware installation

4. linux and netatalk sharing same shares

5. Error 'lseek to v_inode failed' with sar

6. Missing Something Network Configuration ?

7. 'more' and 'less' cause inverse video in xterms

8. 2.5.57 ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c

9. patchadd/checkinstall failure ('nobody' /does/ have read permission on '.' and parents)

10. very long timeouts on 'nfs' or 'amd' init during boots

11. Install 'hangs' during installation of 'Local Packages'

12. what is 'protection fault' and 'system calls' ?

13. What causes 4.4 to just 'halt' for resons of it's own?