** Linux mail server and Solaris Client - help? **

** Linux mail server and Solaris Client - help? **

Post by Dimitrios Androuts » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

I've recently set up a Linux (slackware, kernel 2.0.26) machine as our
network's mail server/hub using sendmail.  The /var/spool/mail directory
is exported and NFS mounted on other Linux machines, a SunOS4.1.1 machine
and two Solaris 2.5 machines.

The problem I have is when a user tries to READ mail on the Solaris machines.
Mail can be sent without problems but when an attempt is made to read the
mail, a .LOCK file is created with `----------' permission and  `mail' hangs.

It also spits out the following:

WARNING: You are already reading mail.
         This instance of mail is read only.

...which is damn strange since there is no other instance of mail running.

Can anyone give me a helping hand?

D.

1. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

Let's take a look at this scenario:

I have two mail accounts, one on academic Unix server A and second
at my office - Unix server B. And there is also Win95/NT PC on my desk.
Practicaly I use Internet only from my PC. There is proxy gateway for
http and ftp outbound connections. No pops, telnets and other services
outside the office. You know - security.
And, let's assume, all inbound mail is CCopied to my boss.

And where is the problem?
I want to have all my private mail (sent to my academic account)
on my desk - Internet Mail, Pegasus or sth like that.

Forwarding mail from one account to the other does not provide security.
My office Unix server is "untrusted", so all forwarded mail should
arrive encoded. And decoding should be done by my pop3 client, just on
my desk.

So, some procmail action should be taken at Server A to encode (by pgp?)
and forward mail. And some automatical decoding at my desk.

Any help?
Any URL, sample conf and tips?

Regards
tko

2. Wrong mouse auto-detection on boot

3. win95 client gets mail through linux machine from netware 3.xx mail server, POSSIBLE ?

4. Internal IDE Sparq

5. mail client for windows with enhanced features running on a linux mail server?

6. HardDisk messes up TERM (modem) connection!

7. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client help?

8. Help: solaris, dial in modem, terminal server?

9. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

10. What client mail protocol leaves mail on server

11. What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

12. mail client can access HTTP mail server

13. How to receive Internet mail from Win95 client via mail server on Redhat 4.2