User Database needed

Post by gasp » Thu, 23 Apr 1992 19:37:59

Hi all, anybody have any decent scripts/database/programs to manage an
entire sites worth of users? Specifically, we have about 10 seperate
"clusters", about 2000 users, and a bunch of in-house scripts and
programs.  But, all this was created back when the number of users was
under 500.  What I really need is a way to maintain one list of all the
user accounts with standard uid,gid,gecos,etc to create the passwd
files, and a couple extra fields for stuff like expiredate, majorProf,
comments and so on.

I'd rather not be locked into any "real" database programs
(sybase,ingres, and such), and would prefer perl/sh scripts.

Probably will have to finish writing our own stuff, but any
hints/suggestions/code-samples/pointers/so-on would be appreciated.

--gaspo.

I'll sum if anybody gives a crap.
please dont send any "me-too's". see above.

- Scott "gaspo" Gasparian / Dept. Informatik -
- Stabstelle Software / System Administrator -
- ETH-Zentrum,  CH-8092 Zurich,  Switzerland -

User Database needed

Post by John F. Haugh » Tue, 28 Apr 1992 03:26:57

Quote:>I'd rather not be locked into any "real" database programs
>(sybase,ingres, and such), and would prefer perl/sh scripts.

>Probably will have to finish writing our own stuff, but any
>hints/suggestions/code-samples/pointers/so-on would be appreciated.

you may want to get "locked into" IDBM then.  it is progressing
to the point where it will do "real" database stuff and is freely
re-distributable/usable.
--
John F. Haugh II                   | SITUATION WANTED:
Ma Bell: (512) 251-2151            |    Will write device drivers, turn status

1. Free/PD database needed to manage minimal user data for system administration tasks.

Postgers from UNiversity of California Berkley.  Its free, avaible on a
wide range of Unix machines and does what you want.   Try one of the
postgres newsgroups for more information.

Duncan Hare

database package (free or PD -- we have ORACLE : on our HP machines, but
we're not getting a Sun license, which is where this : database needs to
run: on a SunOS 4.1.3 machine) to manage user information : such as
username, groups, location, real name, department/division, etc etc.

: Optimally, the database will be query-able from the command line.  e.g.
: we will need to be able to do things like ``show me the usernames of all
: users who are located in Los Angeles'' and have the list of usernames
: dumped to standard output.  Fields should be easy to add on as needed
: as well.  If we need to add a new field to all of the records sometime
: in the near future, it has to be fairly automatic.

: As you can probably tell, I'm no DB guru or admin (and I don't really want
: to be :), we just need something simple to manage a little data.

: Please e-mail replies.

: Thanks
: --

: Jeff Blaine         le0 ni0 et0 en0 ie0 lan0 de0 ec0 ex0 il0 ix0 enet0
: CIESIN Operations   ae0 eth0 ln0 -- Standardize UNIX

2. DAT/DDS quick file access?

3. need to restrict users doing a su to a selected group of users

4. Setting up ide cd recorder in Mandrake 7.0

5. nsca httpd server need to configure users for ~user resolve...

6. tcp_v4_get_port?

7. need to restrict users doing a su to a selected group of users

8. No CR when printing to HP2100TN

9. super user --> user; newbie needs help

10. need to restrict users from doing a su to a selected group of users

11. How can I setup each user's database size in MYSQL is 10MB?

12. Practical limit for # of users in NIS database ?

13. importing /etc/passwd into Netscape's user database ?