multiple installation software updates management

multiple installation software updates management

Post by Forrest Aldri » Mon, 27 Dec 1993 07:24:16

I'm working on a curious project which involves devising a means by which
to keep miscellaneous software (GNU, and etc.) installed and updated on
the multiple platforms we have (SCO, AIX, RS/6000... but mostly SCO).

My first thought was to create a program which would allow the user to
select which software to install and such... then I realized that this
would be far more complex than I wanted it to be; and it would involve
the individual users needing to work with root privs (which I am
discouraging because of many problems we have had).

Most of our machines standarly NFS mount /remote/news and /remote/archive.
The installed files and such would be kept in /remote/archive/*.* so that
wouldn't be a problem...

Then it was suggested that I look into using something like "rdist"... which
seems a bit complex; and then you have the issue of multi-platforms (which
really isn't a major issue here).

I finally thought that it would be best if the updates and installations
were controlled by the admin (me) for sanity and consistency.  Not all
users will have the same desires, ie: not everyone will want things like
TeX and not everyone will have the space for a lot of stuff.  So I must
devise a way to determine this.

Before I go further, I figured I would bounce this off the net and see
what experiences and suggestions other people might have with this
situation.  I would appreciate any and all input.

Thank you....

Forrest

--

1. software management/installation

        I am looking for a software management/installation tool for
use on my home unix system (running Linux).  I don't need any special
features beside the basics of being able to easily install and
de-install software from either independent directors or tar files.
Anything that deals with multiple users checking files out, or NFS
mounting remotely is probably going too far beyond my needs, unless of
course I can still do what I want to do without being bogged down with
too many other details.

Thanks,

David Simpson

2. Simple Bash Questions

3. Tulsa or other software management software

4. wabi icons

5. new software (and updated software)

6. What does this tell me?

7. Need: software installation software

8. 3D Blaster Banshee (Voodo2)

9. Problem setting up SUN Management Center 3.5 update 1

10. Sun Update Connection (aka patch management)

11. Anti-virus and Update management tools

12. power management question - is 'update' really necessary

13. Multiple Domain Management and Configuration