How does "Time Synch Protocol" relate to "Network Time Protocol"?

How does "Time Synch Protocol" relate to "Network Time Protocol"?

Post by Angelo A. Kee » Thu, 22 Sep 1994 02:54:11

I am administering a SCO ODT system running
Unix System V release 3.2v4.2 on our local
network, and I am looking for some additional
information about the "Time Synchronization Protocol"
as mentioned in the SCO ODT Administrator's Guide.

I am also looking for information on the "Time Synchronization
Protocol" as well - which explains the cross-posting. I
apologize in advance if necessary.

From the manual:

   "...The time daemons communicate with each other
    using the Time Synchronization Protocol (TSP),
    which is built on the DARPA UDP protocol..."

Questions:

   1) Is the TSP proprietary to SCO?
   2) What is the difference (if any) between
       TSP and the "Network Time Protocol"?
   3) Has anyone out there successfully
        time-synched a SCO box with non-SCO
        boxes as either a master or a slave?
   4) If you are running a SCO box as a
       master or a slave, what types of machines
       and operating systems are in your network?
   5) Someone told me that NTP may actually
       be public-domain. If so, does anyone
       know where I might find a copy?
   6) If TSP *is* different than NTP, then
       does anyone know where I may find
       a list of machines that NTP will run on?

I am under the gun on this one, so I'd appreciate
any help you could provide.  "Time pressure, don'cha know"

Thanks

Angelo A. Keene
Lead Engineer Software
Harris Information Systems Division

--- flames cheerfully and promptly ignored ---