unix skills

unix skills

Post by Jon Parm » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 23:23:36




> There is a history of people who hadn't been able to install the system,
> and therefore misplace their frustration by condemning the system rather

I've noticed the frustration manifest itself in the complete
misreading of the kinds of systems he thinks I work with.

Quote:> than accepting their incompetence.   This is the problem that the troll
> has manifest, and there is a really long history (over the last few years.)

His obsession is worse than I thought. Years?

Quote:> Again, back to lurker mode.

> John

Regards,
Jon
 
 
 

unix skills

Post by daveh.. » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:10:04




>> than accepting their incompetence.   This is the problem that the troll
>> has manifest, and there is a really long history (over the last few years.)
> His obsession is worse than I thought. Years?

Yes, years.  That's why those of us who actually try to use this group
for productive conversation get so mightily annoyed at the folks who show
up, decide to play with the troll for a while, and perpetuate it.

Dave Hinz

 
 
 

unix skills

Post by Adam Pric » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:21:29





> : {snip}

> :> You falsely assume that "never tried to pass" is the same thing as
> :> "cannot pass".  The UNIX certifications cost money.  The ONLY reason
> :> FreeBSD and Linux aren't called UNIX is for legal copyright reasons,
> :> NOT for technical ones.

> : With respect, if you insist on sparring with the troll, could you
> : _please_ do so via e-mail ?  I come to this newsgroup to learn, and
> : (occasionally) to help those who know less than I (is that possible
> : ?<VBG>).  I really don't feel like killfiling anyone else other than
> : the troll, but those who insist on responding to him, aren't leaving me
> : much choice ... :-(

> I disagree strongly with the oft-mentioned claim that trolls on
> usenet want long arguments and attention.  I don't think that's
> their real goal.  I think their real goal is to be able to spread
> their lies uncontested.  So they try as hard as they can to*
> off everyone who disagrees with them, to the point where all those
> people killfile the troll, and THAT is when the troll's paradise
> really comes to fruition.  Now, with all the dissenters ignoring
> him, the troll can continue to lie, lie, lie all the live long day
> to the remainder of the audience without ever being contradicted.

> Trolls don't go away when you killfile them.  They just get away
> with spreading lies behind your back.  And I think that's exactly
> what they're looking for.

> The only trolls I ever killfile are the ones that are so outrageous
> that there's no danger of even a rank newbie ever taking the troll
> seriously.  Now, this guy comes really close to that, but I've seen
> much, much worse.

Trolls go away because I don't read them. Idiots that take the trolls
lies at face value go in the same bit bucket. Idiots who wilfully
continue to fight with the troll go the same way.
*Plonk*
 
 
 

unix skills

Post by Jon Parm » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 06:43:17





> >> than accepting their incompetence.   This is the problem that the troll
> >> has manifest, and there is a really long history (over the last few years.)

> > His obsession is worse than I thought. Years?

> Yes, years.  That's why those of us who actually try to use this group
> for productive conversation get so mightily annoyed at the folks who show
> up, decide to play with the troll for a while, and perpetuate it.

Understood.

I'll stop feeding it.

Quote:> Dave Hinz

Regards,
Jon
 
 
 

unix skills

Post by Nick Bachman » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 09:26:08




> {snip}

>>Trolls go away because I don't read them. Idiots that take the trolls
>>lies at face value go in the same bit bucket. Idiots who wilfully
>>continue to fight with the troll go the same way.
>>*Plonk*

> <applause>

I third the plonking.

--
         Regards,
         N
-----------------------------------
Nicholas Bachmann

http://hermie.freeshell.org
"To Boldly Go Where Angels Fear To Tread"
     -From the Infocom Game "Stationfall"
-----------------------------------

 
 
 

unix skills

Post by Steve Madin » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 09:23:31


: Trolls go away because I don't read them. Idiots that take the trolls
: lies at face value go in the same bit bucket. Idiots who wilfully
: continue to fight with the troll go the same way.
: *Plonk*

Most trolls aren't as dumb as the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Trall.
Wrapping a towel around your head doesn't make them go away.