unix skills

Post by Marlow Raguindi » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:33:54

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better with my
unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box' that I
can practice on.

Thanks!

unix skills

Post by Faux_Pseu » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:59:09

--(Once apon a time, in comp.unix.admin,)--
                --(Marlow Raguindin said it like only they can.)--

Quote:> I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
> ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better with my
> unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box' that I
> can practice on.

> Thanks!

You could get a shell acount somewhere and practice there.

You can install linux on a system you already have with the mircal of
dual booting.  You can download it or buy a magazine that has a copy
of it on cd or you can go to cheapbytes.com and get a cd sent to you
for any number o differant versions of linux.

There are even a few versions of linux that are one big binary image
you can run from inside windows.

You could install cygwin, it too is free, on an existing windows
install.  This will be like being able to get some of the perks of
unix without the steep learning curve.

Now can some one point this guy to some newbie websites?

--

GUI's are for slackers.  Get ibpconf.sh 6.1 on freshmeat.net
It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.

unix skills

Post by pe.. » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 23:52:16

> I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
> ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better with my
> unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box' that I
> can practice on.

Get a copy of free/open BSD from Internet and install on a pc.

Using your own box and having to deal with all installation hazzles
will create a steep learning curve. And when you have a working
system everything is in place to start practicing.

( yes thera are other closes too, solaris, linuz SCO et.al that might
qualify. Most of them cheap or free, none of them as "faithful" and
recognizable as a "TRUE" unix system )

Quote:> Thanks!

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

unix skills

Post by Erik Max Franci » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 03:44:24

> I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
> ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better
> with my
> unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box'
> that I
> can practice on.

Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris 8, and other UNIX and UNIX-like
operating systems are free to use (you might want to pay for media just
for the convenience of having them).  Buy a cheap, new machine or get a
new hard drive for your preexisting machine, acquire one, and install
it.

/  \ Laws are silent in time of war.
\__/ Cicero
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.

unix skills

Post by Reggie Chan » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:26:26

Try eBay and search for workstation.
You may be able to get a good deal.

--
------------------------------
ZONA Technology, Inc.

unix skills

Post by GC » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:59:59

> I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
> ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better with my
> unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box' that I
> can practice on.

> Thanks!

You can either install Linux/*BSD/Solaris for intel on an unused PC (as
was mentioned four or five times in this thread), or you can get a shell
account at grex.cybperspace.org (is it running a version of SunOS).

Cheers,
GC

unix skills

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:12:11

>>I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
>>ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better with my
>>unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box' that I
>>can practice on.

> Get a copy of free/open BSD from Internet and install on a pc.

        He said a "unix box" my young friend.  Free/open BSD do not qualify.

                Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                                Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

unix skills

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:13:04

>>I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
>>ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better
>>with my
>>unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box'
>>that I
>>can practice on.

> Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris 8, and other UNIX and UNIX-like
> operating systems are free to use (you might want to pay for media just
> for the convenience of having them).  Buy a cheap, new machine or get a
> new hard drive for your preexisting machine, acquire one, and install
> it.

        He said "unix box", not "UNIX-like [sic]", my misguided young LINTEL
kiddie.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:14:32

> I don't know if this is the right place to post this, pls excuse my
> ignorance. I'm a cisco/microsoft guy and I am trying to get better with my
> unix skills. Is there anyone who would like to sell me a 'unix box' that I
> can practice on.

        SUN would be happy to sell you a cheap one.  Go to "http://www.sun.com"
and check into the SunBlade 100.  SUN is practically giving them away.
Of course if you want a real 64-bit UNIX box, that will involve paying a
lot more to COMPAQ, HP or SGI.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--

Post by Erik Max Franci » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:03:58

>         He said "unix box", not "UNIX-like [sic]", my misguided young
> LINTEL
> kiddie.

If you want to be _really_ pedantic, he didn't say "UNIX[tm]," he said
"unix," which most people take to mean UNIX[tm] or UNIX[tm]-like
operating systems.  *BSD and Linux most certainly qualify.  Besides, I
_did_ make the distinction between "UNIX and UNIX-like," and further, I
gave Solaris 8 as an example of an operating system which cuold could be
used (no "lintel" there, bub).

So who's misguided here?

Post by Nick Bachman » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:21:39

>>        He said "unix box", not "UNIX-like [sic]", my misguided young
>>LINTEL
>>kiddie.

> If you want to be _really_ pedantic, he didn't say "UNIX[tm]," he said
> "unix," which most people take to mean UNIX[tm] or UNIX[tm]-like
> operating systems.  *BSD and Linux most certainly qualify.  Besides, I
> _did_ make the distinction between "UNIX and UNIX-like," and further, I
> gave Solaris 8 as an example of an operating system which cuold could be
> used (no "lintel" there, bub).

> So who's misguided here?

If you feed the troll, you have to take him home.  And I wouldn't do
that without a walk-in freezer or an industrial garbage disposal. So
just give up, nothing you say will make him back down or shut up (well,
except the freezer or the garbage disposal, but the local 5-0 might not
like that :-) and go out and watch the meteor shower tonight!

--
         Regards,
-----------------------------------

http://hermie.freeshell.org
"To Boldly Go Where Angels Fear To Tread"
     -From the Infocom Game "Stationfall"
-----------------------------------

unix skills

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 00:11:11

>>        He said "unix box", not "UNIX-like [sic]", my misguided young
>>LINTEL
>>kiddie.

> If you want to be _really_ pedantic, he didn't say "UNIX[tm]," he said
> "unix," which most people take to mean UNIX[tm] or UNIX[tm]-like
> operating systems.

        You are of course mistaken.  "UNIX[tm]" == "unix"  == "Unix"  No matter
how you present the trademark, it is still the trademark of The Open
Group.  Operating systems that can't pass the certification requirements
(e.g. LINUX, FreeBSD) need not apply.

Quote:> *BSD and Linux most certainly qualify.  Besides, I
> _did_ make the distinction between "UNIX and UNIX-like," and further, I
> gave Solaris 8 as an example of an operating system which cuold could be
> used (no "lintel" there, bub).

> So who's misguided here?

        You, obviously.

Post by Dan Birchal » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:23:20

>> Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris 8, and other UNIX and UNIX-like
>> operating systems are free to use

> He said "unix box", not "UNIX-like [sic]", my misguided young LINTEL
> kiddie.

Did you miss Erik's mention of Solaris 8, Don?  Every version of
Solaris since 2.4 has been UNIX certified on both SPARC and _x86_
platforms, under either the UNIX 93, UNIX 95, or UNIX 98 product
standards.

Which is not to say that I think Solaris/x86 is great (I cut my

teeth on Interactive UNIX/386i, which became Solaris/x86 before
the Great Re-Writing, and which I suspect is where Sun got SysV
code to begin with, and I don't really miss that product)... but
it's UNIX, according to folks who're more authoritative than
either of us.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

--
Available for Biz, Pics, Tech and Words - http://danbirchall.com/
Some opinions are at http://dbirchall.epinions.com/user-dbirchall

unix skills

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:05:33

|Which is not to say that I think Solaris/x86 is great (I cut my
|teeth on Interactive UNIX/386i, which became Solaris/x86 before
|the Great Re-Writing, and which I suspect is where Sun got SysV
|code to begin with, and I don't really miss that product)...

While Sun got x86 bits from Interactive, the SysV code in Solaris came
directly from the AT&T/Sun partnership to create SVR4, which predated
the purchase of Interactive by several years.

unix skills

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:10:35

>>> Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris 8, and other UNIX and UNIX-like
>>> operating systems are free to use
>> He said "unix box", not "UNIX-like [sic]", my misguided young LINTEL
>> kiddie.
> Did you miss Erik's mention of Solaris 8, Don?  Every version of
> Solaris since 2.4 has been UNIX certified on both SPARC and _x86_
> platforms, under either the UNIX 93, UNIX 95, or UNIX 98 product
> standards.

        Obviously you missed Eric's mention of "Linux, OpenBSD (and) FreeBSD".
Non UNIX systems if ever there were any.