Automatically nicing background jobs.

Post by Peter Burg » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 20:55:39

Dear reader,

Could someone tell me whether it is possible to set an
environment variable or otherwise to automatically renice
background processes to low priority.

This would need to trap backgrounding from the command line
using '&' and also using ctrl Z followed by 'bg'.

We want to enforce running background jobs at low priority
but people are reluctant to conform.

Many Thanks

Peter Burge
Systems Admin
Dept of Geology
Royal Holloway University of London

Post by Stephan Zielinsk » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 05:15:54

>We want to enforce running background jobs at low priority
>but people are reluctant to conform.

Many moons ago, a man posted to comp.unix.admin, saying:

Quote:> My problem is that certain users run CPU intensive background
> jobs and forget to nice them so they don't interfere with
> interactive processes.  Every time I come in I find myself
> doing a ps -glxa and then renicing their processes for them.

And Neil W. Rickert responded:

Quote:> If you get into the habit of renicing them with "kill -9", I bet
> your user will soon get into the habit of renicing himself.

If that doesn't settle it, you're going to have to contact Simon
Travaglia.

--

              Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.