How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by () » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Please email me the command to run a background process on a Unix Machine
Simon

Post by Nick Upso » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Please email me the command to run a background process on a Unix Machine
> Simon

If you don't know, you shouldn't know
--
Nick
"Who does your computer housekeeping?" Computer Consultancy & Development

May you receive the blessings of the goddess every day

How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by Sid Ric » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Run the command with a space then a &.  (ie command &)

Sid Rice

> > Please email me the command to run a background process on a Unix
Machine
> > Simon

> If you don't know, you shouldn't know
> --
> Nick
> "Who does your computer housekeeping?" Computer Consultancy & Development
> "Can you clean your ears? your pet can't!
> http://worldemail.com/wetc/brushtec
> "VET it first" Vet Virus Protection Software Dealer

> May you receive the blessings of the goddess every day

How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by Anthony J. Biac » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:
: If you don't know, you shouldn't know

Now what the hell does that mean?

-Cygnus
Anthony J. Biacco
System Programmer/Network Engineer      "Don't let the days go by..
                                                               ..Glycerine"

                                     *
                 *                                          *
                                                      *

                     *              *             *

                                      *

                                       *

                                    *

                 http://www.intermarket.net/~cygnus/cygnus.html

Post by M. Tomas Morale » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Please email me the command to run a background process on a Unix Machine
> Simon

If thats all you want, you simple execute the process like this:

 ~>myprocess &

As you see the ampersand is what causes to run your process on the
background.

-mtm

How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by Trever Mill » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: :
: : If you don't know, you shouldn't know

: Now what the hell does that mean?

It means that the answer is covered in even rudimentary luser-level
hold-my-hand how-to-use-unix books, and that the questioner should
grab a clue and do some research.

--

"The stupider it looks, the more important it probably is." -- J.R. 'Bob' Dobbs

Post by Kevin Liste » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Run the command with a space then a &.  (ie command &)

Actually the space is optional!

kev

Quote:

> Sid Rice

snip

How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by Anthony J. Biac » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: : :
: : : If you don't know, you shouldn't know
:
: : Now what the hell does that mean?
:
: It means that the answer is covered in even rudimentary luser-level
: hold-my-hand how-to-use-unix books, and that the questioner should
: grab a clue and do some research.
:
  Why should he buy a book just for that..when he can ask it on a
newsgroup..that IS what this is for.

: --

:

Post by Hans Petter Biek » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Run the command with a space then a &.  (ie command &)

You don't need a space, do you?

`ls&' works in bash.

--
 Linux; 64bit, multi-platform, multi-tasking, multi-user and Free.
Microsoft Windows 95 - From the makers of EDLIN and FAT drive formatting!

Post by Bill Marc » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>: Run the command with a space then a &.  (ie command &)

>You don't need a space, do you?

>`ls&' works in bash.

Correct, because both '&' and ';' are command separators.  You can start
several background processes on one line by ending each one with '&'.

Quote:>--
> Linux; 64bit, multi-platform, multi-tasking, multi-user and Free.
>Microsoft Windows 95 - From the makers of EDLIN and FAT drive formatting!
>"Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?

--

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside a dog, it's too
dark to read." -- Marx (or was it Twain?)

Post by Derrick Shult » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Please email me the command to run a background process on a Unix Machine
> > Simon

> If you don't know, you shouldn't know
> --
> Nick

I am assuming that you are new to unix, hopefully a user wanting to learn a little more.  You should really ask
your admin team when you have these kinds of questions so they can show you how and why to do something.

To run a process in the background, you would append a & to the end of the name when you start it.

% mycommand &

--
+| Derrick Shultz
+| Unix System Administrator

+|
+| <Insert Standard Employer Disclamer Here >

How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by Enzo Marrar » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

An easy question:

Quote:

> > Please email me the command to run a background process on a Unix Machine
> > Simon

A VERY STUPID ANSWER:

Quote:> If you don't know, you shouldn't know
> --

Do you think you are a great man just because
you know how to run a process in background ????

(By the way , the answer is:

$> progname &   )

How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by Remco Wou » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Actually using an ampersand to start a background process is just a
convention which happens to be abided by most shells. The real way to start
a background process is of course using fork etc, more like this:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  int pid;

  if ( (pid = fork()) == 0 ) execvp(*(argv+1),argv+1);
  else printf("Started process %d in the background\n",pid);

Quote:}

--

tel/fax:+31-(0)1131-571920/3616      |Vierstraat 28, 4401 EA Yerseke

How Do U run a Background Process ?

Post by Tony Bloc » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Alan Shutko Wrote:
:

:
:
:A> Why should he buy a book just for that..when he can ask it on a
:A> newsgroup..that IS what this is for.
:
:If someone needs to ask how to background a process, they shouldn't be
:in comp.unix.admin.  There are other newsgroups chartered for such
:mundane discussion.
:
Great attitude.  Were you not once new to this area.  Did you never have a simple question that
needed answering.  If you think the question is so mundane, then just don't answer it.

Tony Block

Post by Edmund Roche-Kel » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>:
>:If someone needs to ask how to background a process, they shouldn't be
>:in comp.unix.admin.  There are other newsgroups chartered for such
>:mundane discussion.
>:
>Great attitude.  Were you not once new to this area.  Did you never have a simple question that
>needed answering.  If you think the question is so mundane, then just don't answer it.

Or at least do it within 80 columns. Simple questions like this shouldn't be
posted in comp.unix.admin. It belongs in comp.unix.questions. It doesn't fit
the charter of this group, and so only generates a long line of followups
like this one. Look around you. Every single newsgroup probably has an
On charter/Off charter "discussion" going on at this moment. Until people
actually do think about what they're typing this will go on. Until that
far off day, reprimanding people, even if it seems elitist, seems the
only obvious solution. Perhaps it would have been better to it by email,
but that's life.

rambling Ed
--

1. How to not have process number / 'done' line for background process?

Does anyone know how to supress the 'process number' line and the 'done'
line when submitting a process to run in the background? I tried sending
it to /dev/null, but that didn't solve the problem. The exact command I
am trying is:    ls &

The two lines I would like to not have returned are:
                 nnnnnn  (process number)
                 Done

2. SIGSEGV exception handler problem

3. Killing csh background process **AND** any unfinished processes (fg and background) it started

4. how to reduce file-system cache size

5. Running Dos in background

6. GUS trouble under Linux

7. background process runs and output comes to terminal in 4.3.3

8. qtscape as .ppc.rpm

9. running an X windows process in background through ssh

10. Apache, background process to find out if it's still running

11. Run a background process in cgi script.

12. HOW TO RE-DIRECT THE STDIN/STDOUT FOR A PROCESS RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND

13. Running a background process using &