How NIS update the clients after a passwd change?

How NIS update the clients after a passwd change?

Post by Anas Nashi » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

How does NIS update the clients with new information? On our cluster I
have to do this manually or with a cron job. Is there a better, maybe in
NIS implemented way to do this?

Anas

Anas Nashif                     Universitaet Mannheim
Mundenheimer Str. 137           Rechenzentrum L 15,16
67061 Ludwigshafen              D-68131 Mannheim

Tel. 0621 562647
Tel. 0621 292 2702

How NIS update the clients after a passwd change?

Post by Alex Ga » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> How does NIS update the clients with new information? On our cluster I
> have to do this manually or with a cron job. Is there a better, maybe in
> NIS implemented way to do this?

> Anas

> --
> Anas Nashif                        Universitaet Mannheim
> Mundenheimer Str. 137              Rechenzentrum L 15,16
> 67061 Ludwigshafen         D-68131 Mannheim

> Tel. 0621 562647
> Tel. 0621 292 2702
> .

How NIS update the clients after a passwd change?

Post by Stephen Pott » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[courtesy copy posted as well as emailed to cites author]

   How does NIS update the clients with new information? On our cluster I
   have to do this manually or with a cron job. Is there a better, maybe in
   NIS implemented way to do this?

NIS doesn't update the clients.  When the clients need the information,
they ask the server for it.  They don't have their own copy so they should
always be getting an uptodate copy.  Of course, it is possible to not have
your NIS setup correctly, so that the password map doesn't get rebuilt
everytime a password is changed, and then they would still get the old
information from NIS, while the NIS server would have the new information.

-spp
--
Stephen P Potter   Pencom Systems Administration    Telco Systems, Norwood, MA

     Maintainer of <A HREF="http://perl.com/perl/faq/">Perl FAQ List</A>
   "I'm supposed to be their God, and I've broken five of their commandments
   already.  I'd've broken all six, but there aren't any sheep on board."
                -Dave Lister, 3rd technician, Red Dwarf

1. Changing from NIS client t NIS+ Client

I have a machine running Solaris 2.4.  Previous it is a NIS client using
yp database.  But our NIS+ Server has been up and we would like to run
the machine as a NIS+ client.

We knew the command should be sysidnis but when we tried this command.
Nothing happened.  According to the man page, this command take effect
only at system startup.  How should we run the program or are there some
other ways to do the job ?

Any idea and hint would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

===========
Alex Lee

2. installing printer deamon LPRng-3.5.3/

3. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map

4. XFree86 & Cirrus Problem

5. Why doesn't passwd/yppasswd update NIS passwd maps?

6. Redhat 6.1 ISO rsync server

7. Help: NIS+ password information update failed while talking to NIS+ passwd daemon

8. Mathematica: Where to get?

9. passwd (NIS): Couldn't change passwd/attributes for joeblogg

10. NIS password not updating right away on NIS client running CentOS

11. Can't change NIS+ password in NIS+ client

12. can't update nis+ passwd

13. Proper update of passwd/shadow with NIS