Please Help: Corrupt tar file on Exabyte 112m tape

Please Help: Corrupt tar file on Exabyte 112m tape

Post by System Administrat » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

: One of our postgrads has a corrupted Exabyte tape which he desperately
: needs to read.

: gtar with '-i' has retrieved most of the data, but eventually gives up
: with 'I/O Error: Too Many Errors'.

: I think (hope) that only part of the tape is corrupted.

You may want to play with the hardware blocking factors on the tape.
You can set the block size to whatever you want. By default it's
variable blocking.  But if the tape was created with a specific blocking
that didn't agree with gtar's blocking, you could get interesting
situations indeed.  Might be worth checking what the setup was on the
machine that created the tape.

If I recall correctly Exabytes always write in multiples of 8K, (amount
of data per stripe) regardless of what your blocking is.  For that
reason here, I have gtar write to the exabyte tapes using a blocking
factor of 16 instead of the default 20.

: Shaun McCullagh,
: IT Support Officer,
: School of Information Systems.,
: University of East Anglia.,
: Norwich
: England NR4 7TJ

: Office: E02.109

: *******************************************************************
: Life is like sanskrit read to a pony
: *******************************************************************

--

Physics Dept               #  403 492 5728 mornings (Math Dept)
University of Alberta      #  3713 afternoons 0714 Fax

Post by Shaun McCulla » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

One of our postgrads has a corrupted Exabyte tape which he desperately
needs to read.

gtar with '-i' has retrieved most of the data, but eventually gives up
with 'I/O Error: Too Many Errors'.

I think (hope) that only part of the tape is corrupted.

Can anybody recommend a package or company that might help?

Thank you.

Shaun

Shaun McCullagh,
IT Support Officer,
School of Information Systems.,
University of East Anglia.,
Norwich
England NR4 7TJ

Office: E02.109

Life is like sanskrit read to a pony

1. Exabyte 112M 8mm Tapes: Good Source?

I bought a cheap brand of tapes for my Exabyte drive and am now
regretting it, as two out of twenty have been rejected so far.
I'd like to switch to Exabyte tapes. Does anyone know where to
go for the lowest prices? I need about twenty to cover daily,
weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual backups.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

University of California at Berkeley     Richmond Field Station

2. : IBM SCSI controller, can't find a driver...

3. How do I dump to an Exabyte 8500 w/112m tape w/compression (5GB) ?

4. su and promiscuous errors

5. 8mm tape corrupted tar header file - HELP!

6. NYC LOCAL: Noon Monday 30 July 2001: Rally to Free Dmitry Sklyarov

7. RH 7.0 and a PCTel winmodem

8. Recovering data from corrupted tar file(on tape)

9. **HELP PLEASE** Unix TAR file from Dat Tape Under Linux

10. Help: Fixing Corrupt TAR tape

11. HELP!! with corrupted tar tape

12. EXABYTE 8200: MODE SELECT command for 112m cadridges