Alias Mailing List Question

Post by The Jest » Fri, 06 Nov 1992 14:05:34

I am administrating an alias mail exploader list. However there are
two problems with the list, neither is a show stopper but they are
damn annoying:
        1.If you send a letter to the exploader address, the
        computer just goes through the alias file and sends the
        letter out to everyone on the list. In 10 out of 10 cases,
        the person sending the letter is on the list. So if you send
        a letter, you end up getting a copy back.

        2.When you get a letter from the list, the 'from:' line will
        have the address of the person who originally sent in the
        letter instead of the address of the e-mail address of the
        list. So everytime you wish to respond to a letter you got
        off the list, you have to delete the 'to' line on your
        response and replace it with the list address.

Are there non radical solutions to these problems? Preferably some
program that will examine the 'from' line on the letter sent to it
and not send back an echo if the person is on the alias list and
will also format the letters it does send out so that when you reply
it will reply to the list instead of whoever originally sent the
letter.

        I will try to read this group but the post volume is
        ENORMOUS, e-mail responses are prefered, I will post a
        summary of the results (always trying to do my part to keep
        down band width munching).

                Thanks,
                        The Jester
--
RSA proved you could patent math, whats next? Fire?
"Sorry, you can't rub those two stones together!

1. MMDF & alias tables (mailing list) alias.list FORMAT

We are running into something I cannot find in the docs anywhere.
We have tried this on SCO UNIX Enterprise 3.2v4.2 and OpenServer 3.2v5.0.4
We know how to setup a mailing list under MMDF:
create an alias.list in /usr/mmdf/table:   E.g

medmgr-outbound:        include: /usr/mmdf/lists/medmgr
medmgr-request: bob

and then in /usr/mmdf/lists/medmgr:   E.g.
bob

.... list.....

But the question, is it possible to have comments on each line, like you do
in an e-mail program?  Like

To make it easier to look at the list and maintain?
Just a list of addresses can be confusing (especially after a few months...)
Thanks for any ideas.

| CCS Enterprises, Inc.   P.O. Drawer 1690     Easton MD  21601 |
|               http://www.ccs.com     Come Visit Us !!         |
|  Personal homepage:  http://www.intercom.net/user/consult     |
|-------> (410) 820-4670 ------------ FAX: (410) 476-5261 <-----|

2. OPENBSD LAUNCHES LATEST RELEASE

3. MAILING-LIST: Linuxisp Mailing list

4. My own fake ethernet[tm] problems.

5. MAILING LIST: Internet mailing list managers

6. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.18)

7. LOCAL/MAILING-LIST: Mailing list for Greek Linux Users

8. Promise Ultra33 IDE Controller

9. MAILING-LIST: new Cyclades Users mailing list

10. MAILING-LIST: Frontpage/Linux Mailing List

11. MAILING-LIST: Linux Women's Mailing List Now Online

12. MAILING LIST: Linux multicasting mailing list.

13. LOCAL/MAILING-LIST: Mailing list for Greek Linux Users