Linux Installation

Post by Dev Alv » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:46:24

Hi I was installing a linux system using boot manager, comp couldnt
install from cd but had floppy that allowed it. half way through the
cd-rom drive stopped working so had to stop and get new drive. now
cant figure out how to restart or redo installation, if i hit the
floppy option as before it does nothing. Any idea?

Linux Installation

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:24:26

> Hi I was installing a linux system using boot manager,

        Then you are posting to the wrong newsgroup.  This is "comp.unix.admin"
and LINUX is not a UNIX system.  You need to post your LINTEL questions
to "comp.os.linux.admin".

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***************************   Q: How many frenchmen does it take
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      to defend Paris?

Linux Installation

Post by daveh.. » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:24:53

Quote:> Hi I was installing a linux system using boot manager, comp couldnt
> install from cd but had floppy that allowed it. half way through the
> cd-rom drive stopped working so had to stop and get new drive. now
> cant figure out how to restart or redo installation, if i hit the
> floppy option as before it does nothing. Any idea?

Your question is way too vague to even begin to guess.   What kind of
system, which boot manager, which version of linux?

Linux Installation

Post by Liam Cunningha » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 05:01:13

> Hi I was installing a linux system using boot manager, comp couldnt
> install from cd but had floppy that allowed it. half way through the
> cd-rom drive stopped working so had to stop and get new drive. now
> cant figure out how to restart or redo installation, if i hit the
> floppy option as before it does nothing. Any idea?

You could have:
 1) a bad floppy controller
 2) a bad floppy disk
 3) a bad motherboard
 4) anything else that doesn't come to mind yet.

If 2)
A reasonable distribution should have a floppy boot image somewhere on one
of the CDs. There should also be a utility to put that image on a floppy
and intructions on how to use it.
A less general answer will require more information from you.

--

If at first you don't succeed,
   read the manual......

Linux Installation

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 06:47:45

>>Hi I was installing a linux system using boot manager, comp couldnt
>>install from cd but had floppy that allowed it. half way through the
>>cd-rom drive stopped working so had to stop and get new drive. now
>>cant figure out how to restart or redo installation, if i hit the
>>floppy option as before it does nothing. Any idea?

> Your question is way too vague to even begin to guess.   What kind of
> system, which boot manager, which version of linux?

        No matter which version, it is off-toic on "comp.unix.admin", Davy.

        Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                        Don

--

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 06:50:03

>>Hi I was installing a linux system using boot manager, comp couldnt
>>install from cd but had floppy that allowed it. half way through the
>>cd-rom drive stopped working so had to stop and get new drive. now
>>cant figure out how to restart or redo installation, if i hit the
>>floppy option as before it does nothing. Any idea?

> You could have:
>  1) a bad floppy controller
>  2) a bad floppy disk
>  3) a bad motherboard
>  4) anything else that doesn't come to mind yet.

        One thing he has for sure is a non UNIX system.  That makes his query
off-topic on "comp.unix.admin".

                Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                                Don

--
***************************   Q: How many frenchmen does it take
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      to defend Paris?
* Baltimore, MD           *   A: No one knows, it's never been tried.
***************************
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/oldno7/TheFrench.mpg
Reluctant Yamaha YZF-R1 Owner

1. Transferrring Linux Installation w/o Installation Media

Hi!

How do I transfer a perfect Linux installation from one partition to
another WITHOUT THE INSTALLATION MEDIA provided that I have a rescue
disk?

I tried it in a naive way:

   - I went into rescue mode and created a new partition of type Linux
Native. The partition refused to mount so I had to install a
minimalist older version (RH 6)on it separately

   - It mounted after that and I tried to copy the /bin /boot /etc and
/sbin directories. I changed the lilo.conf in the new partition to
point to the new partition as root

   - I tried to run /sbin/lilo from the new partition specifying it to
use lilo.conf from the new partition but it refused to run reporting a
problem with boot.b

   - Since I had to free up the old partition anyway, I ended up with
a RH 6 installation instead of RH 7 and waiting to get hold of the
latter's CD!

Please help me out on this so that I (and other newbies in the group)
know how to get out of this muck.

Thanks

__________________________________
Tahir Hashmi
http://tahirhashmi.scriptmania.com

__________________________________

2. icewm: borrow clock digits of another theme?

3. Newbie: Linux installation installation

4. Can't format disk

5. Linux (Corel Linux Installation)

6. Convert long string to integer

7. Corel Linux installation

8. TO Lazy College Students Cheating on Homework...

9. Linux installation questions.

10. problem with linux installation on Dell optiplex GX1p

11. Help! HS student on CD-ROM Linux installation

12. Linux Installation Problems...........

13. LINUX installation