Setting up priviledges for machines/users

Setting up priviledges for machines/users

Post by mauri.. » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 23:31:51

        Very soon I will be connecting my department's PC/Mac student lab in the
internet.  My boss said he wants to limit the access for the students.  To
make him happy, I thought on providing those machines with a limited mail and
newsfeed; later, when things are under control, I can add ftp and telnet.

A DEC 5000 will be used to provide the newsfeed and route the mail around.
But, how can I limit the "range" of mail for those student computers so
that they can only access the department's subdomain and perhaps other
parts of the campus?  Note that this same workstation will have to worry
about faculty machines (I am considering using something like Popmail so
that they can read their mails right on their machines; the DecStation
would be the Popmail server) and these machines should have full access to
the net.  Suggestions?

1. Setting up priviledges for machines/users

        Very soon I will be connecting my department's PC/Mac student lab in
the internet.  My boss said he wants to limit the access for the students.  To
make him happy, I thought on providing those machines with a limited mail and
newsfeed; later, when things are under control, I can add ftp and telnet.

A DEC 5000 will be used to provide the newsfeed and route the mail around.
But, how can I limit the "range" of mail for those student computers so
that they can only access the department's subdomain and perhaps other
parts of the campus?  Note that this same workstation will have to worry
about faculty machines (I am considering using something like Popmail so
that they can read their mails right on their machines; the DecStation
would be the Popmail server) and these machines should have full access to
the net.  Suggestions?

2. Performance Bar icon hang

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. sigsetops - where?

5. suse6.2 - non priviledge users can rm *ANY* file

6. enq message

7. setting application priviledge

8. Stupid Tape

9. priviledges for admin's user?

10. Samba user priviledges

11. User priviledges

12. allow user to listen on priviledged ports

13. How do user priviledges work???