Anyone using OSF/1 on their Sun box?

Post by John de la Garrig » Fri, 10 Jul 1992 02:59:15

I work in a lab with several types of UNIX boxes, including several
SS2s.  What with all the flack and hype over Solaris 2.0 (it's
either the best thing in the world since sliced bread, or it's
burnt toast), we are considering using OSF/1 on our Suns, as well
as our DECstation, and whatever other platforms OSF/1 gets ported
to.  Anyone out there with any opinions pro or con, informed or
otherwise, about this idea?

By the by, I've already been dinged by someone about "why would
you want to do this?".  We're a research lab, so we have a mandate
to do strange and unnatural things! ;)  Why do people jump out of
perfectly good airplanes, or climb Mt Everest?  It seems like a
good idea!  (to us...)  Anyone with negative comments, I'd love to
hear them as well as positive.

--
John de la Garrigue - SAIC   ||  Obligatory disclaimer:

                             ||    the events you are referring to."

1. Anyone used Sun ShowMe video package using Solaris 2.4?

wondering if anyone has used the Sun ShowMe video package using Solaris 2.4?
I have installed it and can use it locally (within our LAN) but we can not
make any inbound and outbound connections (audio, video or whiteboard) to/from
remote machines that are located in different parts of the country. Is there
something within ShowMe that restricts it from making external connections
outside our domain? If any of you have got it to work this way, please
let know if something special needs to be done.

BTW, as I mentioned, we have used the audio, video and whiteboard conferences
internally on our local machines and it works perfect.

The system particulars are: SPARC5, Solaris2.4 OS, X-Window/Motif.

Thanks.

--anil

2. Announce: Progressive Networks RealMedia Conference

3. Anyone use a PDA as a Serial Terminal (VT100) emulator on a Sun Box?

4. Values for res_query

5. Anyone out there that uses XFS or JFS on an old desktop box?

6. How to set up quota ?

7. Is anyone out there using samba to backup WFW machines to a Linux box ???

8. Support 256/512 Users?

9. Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?

10. I would like to buy a used Sun box or Sparc Clone

11. how can I ftp to a remote sun box using a PC ftp client?

12. Problem using rsh to Sun box

13. Using two monitors on a single sun box