help binding a process to a tty

Post by Andres Caldera » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I'm setting up a OSF/1 V.3 system  and the users want to have a process
linked to a tty substituting the standrad 'login process'.

Even worse these has to work with pseudo terminals (over the network) too..

I don't know how to do this , I know that probably I have to substitute
the 'getty'
process on standard ttys but in the case of 'network tewrminals' don't have
any idea.

Please give me some light on this stuff....

Andres Caldera

1. tty-less processes with tty's open

We've been having problems with processes which apparently lose their
controlling tty but who keep that tty open.  (This is on a Sun 670
running SunOS 4.1.2.)  The symptoms are these.  When trying to telnet
into this machine, the login: prompt will be displayed for a short
time (around a second) but then the connection will be mysteriously
closed.  When trying to rlogin to this machine it's even more wacky.
I can rlogin to it, and have all my stuff in my .bash_profile run Ok,
but then when that finishes, the shell echoes "logout" and the
connection is closed.

Apparently, telnetd and rlogind are getting EOF (telnetd when it's
trying to read the login name and rlogind after it runs my shell).  We
can trace the problem to the fact that there are processes running
which, for some reason, have the "next available" tty open, so that
when telnetd/rlogind open these tty's, the open succeeds but then when
they try to read from such a tty, they get EOF.  The "offending
programs" vary.  Sometimes it's mailers (elm, pine, /usr/ucb/mail),
but that's probably because one of the primary uses of this machine is
email.  One time it was even lpr, just sitting there with no
controlling tty but yet with a tty open.  Needless to say, it's a pain
to have to remotely find out what the offending process is with
rsh/lsof/ps and then go kill it.

Does anybody have an explanation or maybe even a solution to this
problem?  Thanks in advance.

Gideon Glass

--
----------==========]]]]]]]]]]          [[[[[[[[[[==========----------

]]]]]]]]]]==========----------          ----------==========[[[[[[[[[[

2. Write DVD in 4.7-RELEASE

3. find the process bound to a listen process

4. Execuables not executing

5. Need help on automate the input process via /dev/tty

6. XF86Config HELP

7. need tty term i/o help on process started by inetd

8. How do I run vt movie as .plan

9. creating tty's, mknod, stuck after boot with wrong tty - help

10. Help: httpd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Permission d

11. attaching tty to process

12. system call bound process...??

13. How do I reassign background process to tty after logout?