Strange "cannot stat" errors from the find command.

Strange "cannot stat" errors from the find command.

Post by Robert M » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

A cron job that runs as root has lately been giving us strange "cannot
stat" errors.  We run SunOS 4.1.4 on a Sparc 10.  The same errors will
occur if I manually execute find as root.  I've appended an example of
the error output below.

This seems to be related to our recent instalation of the "smartlist"
mailing list management package (but this is just a guess).  Smartlist
is built from a set of procmail rules, but doesn't, as far as I can
tell, do anything funky.  It does hard link a bunch of files, but
these are all within its own directory and I don't see how it could
cause these errors.

Note that while errors are returned for /home/lists/web-design-digest,
they are NOT returned for /home/lists/web-design -- another mailing
list in the /home/lists directory (where all our mailing lists will
live).  In smartlist, "-digest" mailing lists are simply mailing
lists which subscribe to the non-digest list.

Also note that, while all directories within / and /home cannot be
stat'ed, the subdirectories of /usr, /var, /etc, /sys, etc. seem to
be unaffected.

Someone suggested that I turn off the automount daemon.  This didn't
have any affect.  Besides, this particular machine does not mount or
export any NSF volumes.

Everything else seems hunky dory...but these errors really bother me.
Where there's smoke...

Can anyone lend me a clue?  I promise to give it back after I use it.

Cheers,
Rob