Cron Job

Post by Barry Margol » Fri, 04 Feb 1994 06:23:11

>  I am wondering if it's a good idea to allow everybody to run their own cron jobs.

In most environments it should be.  Cron.allow and cron.deny are there for
exceptional cases, such as sites that only allow certain users to login at
a certain time.  Cron.deny can then be used to prevent them from bypassing
the time restriction with cron.
--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

Cron Job

Post by Winnie L » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 11:09:41

Hi,

  I am wondering if it's a good idea to allow everybody to run their own cron jobs.

  Any suggestion?

  Thanks,

Winnie

Cron Job

Post by Daniel Lieberm » Fri, 04 Feb 1994 08:15:47

Quote:>   I am wondering if it's a good idea to allow everybody to run their own cron jobs.

Allowing users to run cron jobs doesn't actually give them any permissions
that
they don't otherwise have.  The only kinds of things which I've seen users
do
that could (if they didn't respond to warnings) warrent putting them in a
cron.deny list are things to stretch their disk space.  Specifically, I've
had
users who use cron jobs to touch things in scratch space so they don't get
deleted.  I've never seen anything really harmful, though.

-Daniel Lieberman
 Unix Systems Manager, Consortium and Alice Projects
 Technical Education Research Centers, Inc.

1. Difference between cron job and real time job

I have a problem, when i submit a cron job to run a command the result always show some error. But issue the command in the shell everything is normal. Anybody can tell me what's the difference between cron job and real time job.

Chris kwan

Chris C.H. Kwan
Varitronix Limited
Information Service Department