On the importance of Linux.

Post by Ryan Christopher Harshma » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 02:40:50

Don't know if Don Fool still lurks hereabouts...  =)
http://www.investors.com/editorial/tech.asp?v=8/28

Now everyone can tell their boss(es), "Hey, it's good
enough for the New York Stock Exchange."

On the importance of Linux.

Post by Dave Hi » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 04:18:53

: Don't know if Don Fool still lurks hereabouts...  =)
: http://www.investors.com/editorial/tech.asp?v=8/28

: Now everyone can tell their boss(es), "Hey, it's good
: enough for the New York Stock Exchange."

Yeah, well ya know, the only people using the NYSE are hobbiests,
tinkerers, and students, after all...

Dave "My name is NOT Don" Hinz

On the importance of Linux.

Post by Nick Bachman » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:19:34

> : Don't know if Don Fool still lurks hereabouts...  =)
> : http://www.investors.com/editorial/tech.asp?v=8/28

> : Now everyone can tell their boss(es), "Hey, it's good
> : enough for the New York Stock Exchange."

> Yeah, well ya know, the only people using the NYSE are hobbiests,
> tinkerers, and students, after all...

> Dave "My name is NOT Don" Hinz

Don seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. We couldn't get
_that_ lucky... :-)

Hope this helps,
Happy to have cleared things up for you,
Nick

--
                Regards,
-----------------------------------

http://hermie.freeshell.org
"To Boldly Go Where Angels Fear To Tread"
        -From the Infocom Game "Stationfall"
----------------------------------

On the importance of Linux.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 04:31:54

> Don't know if Don Fool still lurks hereabouts...  =)
> http://www.investors.com/editorial/tech.asp?v=8/28

> Now everyone can tell their boss(es), "Hey, it's good
> enough for the New York Stock Exchange."

        What do you suppose "Bearish Analysts Say They'll Remain Gloomy For Now"
has to do with UNIX systems administration?

                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

1. The fundamental importance of WINE for Linux

Ok, for those who don't know what WINE is, here is the link:
http://www.winehq.org

In short: WINE is a Linux program that enables any windows software to
run on a Linux box. It works by implementing all the windows specific
APIs and translating them to the corresponding Linux APIs. So far WINE
is not complete but some Windows programs already run on it.

It is my opinion that this project is of fundamental strategic
importance for Linux and I wonder why so little effort is invested
into it. Only around 20 programmers are really working on it, although
some more may be officially involved.

Imagine if WINE worked 100%. That would mean, ANY windows program
could run on a Linux box. This would definitively be the end for the
Microsoft Monopoly. Nobody would need to buy a Windows OS anymore.
Finally the argument "Linux has only a limited number of software"
would no longer be true. You could run all your favorite windows
programs on Linux. On the long run this would also benefit Linux
native software. Because once Wine is running, more and more people
would use Linux, increasing the market share for Linux native software
also!

So in fact, working on WINE is more important than working on any
other Linux software, except the Kernel itself of course.

So I wonder, why is there so little being done to promote WINE? This
should be marked as one big strategic corner piece of Linux and open
source! Instead people are wasting time on endless discussions in
Newsgroups or useless projects...All the big open source advocates
should be promoting WINE, why aren't they doing it?

I think there is a war going on, and if we want to win we have to
build up a strategy and focus on important goals. Just building
superior technologie doesn't guarantee a win. Lets face it: Linux has
less than 1% marketshare. Peoples decision are based on practical
issues: does the operating system run software X? If not, I cannot use
it...no matter how superior it is. We have to think about the users
not just technical issues. Otherwise Linux will be a niche product for
ever.

WINE is what Linux needs most and most urgent!

Thanks for any feedback...

2. Solaris POD?

3. Netscape GPL'ing importance for linux, free software movement (hard to overstate)

4. Trouble printing to NEC Silentwriter

5. /var/log upkeep and importance

6. FAQ is vague about upgrade from 3.x -> 4.x ... please help

7. Announcement: a new history of the Net and the importance of Open Source in its evolution

8. gethostbyname question

9. Importance of the DOC project

10. Importance of securing systems

11. Importance of "SuperCache" on a timeshare system ???

12. importance of tset

13. Importance of the salt when using the crypt() function