What Defines a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin?

What Defines a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin?

Post by Judy Gallagh » Wed, 25 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Folks,

        Like most of you, I've learned what I know of UNIX System
Administration because I HAD to (i.e. we didn't have an admin, and I
got elected).  For a long time I've tried to deny this, but I think
now this is the way I'd like to go with my career.

        I need to know where I fit in the hierarchy of things.  Are
there any guidelines that define what a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin
should know?  Can anyone point me in the right direction to find such
guidelines?

        Also, has anyone out there been able to work their desire to
do system administration into a partial work week?  I have a 13.5
month old son, and currently work a 3-day (24 hour) week.

Any and all info appreciated!

Thanks,

Judy Gallagher
Staff Programmer
BBN Corporation

What Defines a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin?

Post by Michael Fu » Wed, 25 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[cc to author]

>    I need to know where I fit in the hierarchy of things.  Are
>there any guidelines that define what a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin
>should know?  Can anyone point me in the right direction to find such
>guidelines?

Check out the SAGE Job Descriptions page:

    http://www.sage.usenix.org/sage/jobs/jobs-descriptions.html

Here's an excerpt:

    SAGE, as the professional organization for systems administrators,
    formed the `sage-jobs' working group to address these problems. Its
    goals include the creation of a set of appropriate job descriptions
    for systems administrators and promotion of their adoption by
    organizations that employ systems administrators.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.dimensional.com/~mfuhr/

What Defines a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin?

Post by Bradley M. Ku » Fri, 27 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    Like most of you, I've learned what I know of UNIX System
>Administration because I HAD to (i.e. we didn't have an admin, and I
>got elected).  For a long time I've tried to deny this, but I think
>now this is the way I'd like to go with my career.

Run, run now.  Run like the wind.  Be free.  It's too late for me, but save
yourself.  !^)

Quote:>    I need to know where I fit in the hierarchy of things.  Are
>there any guidelines that define what a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin
>should know?  Can anyone point me in the right direction to find such
>guidelines?

I'd check out www.usenix.org   Follow the links for SAGE (system
administration guild).  They have somewhere a short version of a rating system
for system administrators.  You can buy the full version for $5, I believe.

Quote:>    Also, has anyone out there been able to work their desire to
>do system administration into a partial work week?  I have a 13.5
>month old son, and currently work a 3-day (24 hour) week.

That really depends on how many machines you are managing, how well they have
been managed in the past, whether it's a hetero or homo geneous environment,
etc.

For example, I manage a homogeneous environment of 40 SUN SPARCstations
running Solaris 2.4.  Sounds easy, right?  Well, we also have NO network
administration support worth anything, so I get pulled into that stuff.  On
top of it, the previous sysadmins before me were sloppy and lazy, and didn't
keep current versions of stuff installed, organized local and GNU
installations, nor did they document anything.  This turns what should be a 25
hr. a week job (the managing of 40 SUN SPARCstations) into a 55 hours a week
job.  In a year, it should be back down to 25 hours a week (I can only hope).
Unless they start buying new hardware etc....

My point is, it's all variable, depending on environment and circumstances.
--

What Defines a Junior/Mid/Senior Level Admin?

Post by Luis Fernand » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

A junior admin has signs that say things like "To err is human; to
* things up completely, you have to be root", taped to his
computer.

A senior admin goes around taping signs, such as the one just
mentioned, onto unsuspecting junior admins computers.

HTH.

ZZ
:q
:wq
:-)

1. Junior to Mid-level System Administrator

OnDisplay is currently accepting resumes for an entry to mid-level
System Administrator for the Informations Systems department. The
position is located in the beautiful San Ramon Valley just off of the
I-680 corridor. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual who
wants to work in a fast paced environment and is willing to learn, work
hard, and have fun! For more information about OnDisplay, visit our
website at http://www.ondisplay.com.

Responsibilities include but are not limited to:

o  Install and configure new computers and peripherals
o  Assist end-users with their desktop and HW/SW upgrades
o  Purchase new equipment and track inventory
o  Maintain backup and print servers
o  Work on special assignments with little supervision

The position requires 1 to 2 years working in a related field preferably
in an engineering environment. At least 1 to 2 years working with TCP/IP
networking, Window 95, Windows NT Workstation/Server and Back Office
client/server products. Familiar with AIX, Solaris, HPUX or any other
UNIX platform would be a big plus.

If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to

calls and No Agents please.

2. Running 'startx' more than once problems...

3. Atlanta; Mid to Senior Sys Admin?

4. Translating IP to Geographic Coordinates?

5. Senior Level Systems Administration (Sys Admin)

6. 1152x900. Something else?

7. Columbus OH AIX Senior level Admin needed

8. Another KSH question

9. Senior Level Systems Administration (Sys Admin)

10. Junior, Intermediate or Senior

11. Junior system admin needs advice

12. Junior System Admin needs advice

13. MID Level SA Interview Q's