problems with HP and Solaris environment compatibility

problems with HP and Solaris environment compatibility

Post by Hristo Brachko » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:29:16

Hello

I have the following question:

We have UNIX machines  that run HP-UNIX 11.00 and Solaris 9 connected in the
same network. The server is HP machine where the home directories are
physically located. Of course I would like to have the same home
directories, same user names and corresponding IDs on the Solaris machine so
the home directory is mounted there.

The problem is that it seems the password files and user group files are a
bit different and if they are distributed from HP to Solaris the users
cannot log on Solaris machine. This is the first problem. However if I
manually change the password on Solaris machine I can log.

Then it comes the second problem - after I have logged on Solaris the
settings of my HP desktop environment are overwritten, so next time I log to
HP machine my desktop looks a bit strange, i.e. different than in my
previous HP session (not commenting that the workspace customization is
gone).

Do you have any idea if those problems can be resolved ?

Thanks,

Hristo

problems with HP and Solaris environment compatibility

Post by Bill Marcu » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:23:22

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:29:16 +0300, Hristo Brachkov

> Hello

> I have the following question:

> We have UNIX machines  that run HP-UNIX 11.00 and Solaris 9 connected in the
> same network. The server is HP machine where the home directories are
> physically located. Of course I would like to have the same home
> directories, same user names and corresponding IDs on the Solaris machine so
> the home directory is mounted there.

> The problem is that it seems the password files and user group files are a
> bit different and if they are distributed from HP to Solaris the users
> cannot log on Solaris machine. This is the first problem. However if I
> manually change the password on Solaris machine I can log.

Install NIS on both machines.

Quote:> Then it comes the second problem - after I have logged on Solaris the
> settings of my HP desktop environment are overwritten, so next time I log to
> HP machine my desktop looks a bit strange, i.e. different than in my
> previous HP session (not commenting that the workspace customization is
> gone).

The simplest solution would be to always log into one box, and use ssh
to run applications on the other.  Or you could create ~/hp and ~/solaris
directories, and write a .xsession script to check the hostname and make
symbolic links...

Quote:> Do you have any idea if those problems can be resolved ?

--
Here I am, fifty-eight, and I still don't know what I want to be when
I grow up.