Book Recommendation?

Post by Mark Cory Dav » Thu, 12 Jan 1995 16:58:28

I'm looking for a book on UNIX/UNIX system administration.
I feel as though I know UNIX pretty well, but I am fairly
new to system administration.  I would be interested in a
book that is very thorough, lacking simplicity for completeness!

What do you guru's recommend?

Thanks!

Regards-

--
Mark Davis
The University of Michigan              Ann Arbor, Michigan

Book Recommendation?

Post by steve johns » Thu, 12 Jan 1995 21:34:45

Quote:> I'm looking for a book on UNIX/UNIX system administration.
> I feel as though I know UNIX pretty well, but I am fairly
> new to system administration.  I would be interested in a
> book that is very thorough, lacking simplicity for completeness!

> What do you guru's recommend?

well, i'm in more or less the same boat you are, so i'm not a guru, but a
list that i've found very helpful is available via ftp at
rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/books/unix.  covers everything -
admin, security, n/w, shell programming, x, etc.  (this is also a good
place to get usenet faqs - rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/).  sam's
put in some * ratings as well (don't know where or how he came up with
them, but i don't think anyone would disagree w/his ratings).

pretty much anything by o'reilly (propoganda and info available at
http://www.ora.com/, also available via gopher and ftp) is good, if not
gospel.  frisch's book is good but kinda basic.

on a similar note, i saw a thread go by that there's a new edition of
nemeth, snyder and seebass.  do any of the unix.gods know if this new
edition is like the old one - mostly bsd, w/some systemv scattered here
and there?

--
necessity is the mother of taking chances.

                                  - mark twain

Book Recommendation?

Post by Mark Cory Dav » Fri, 13 Jan 1995 14:06:19

: > I'm looking for a book on UNIX/UNIX system administration.
: > I feel as though I know UNIX pretty well, but I am fairly
: > new to system administration.  I would be interested in a
: > book that is very thorough, lacking simplicity for completeness!
: >
: > What do you guru's recommend?

: pretty much anything by o'reilly (propoganda and info available at
: http://www.ora.com/, also available via gopher and ftp) is good, if not
: gospel.  frisch's book is good but kinda basic.

I had suspected O'Reilly and Associates.  Thank You!

Regards-
--
Mark Davis
The University of Michigan              Ann Arbor, Michigan
College of Engineering                  Computer Engineering

1. Thanks for book recommendations & early report on books & bought today

Read alt.sysadmin.recovery
 If you still want to become an admin, apply to
a large financial institution in Dallas, Tx. and request "the open slot
in unix tech support everyone leaves after 6 mos."
--
                           Thomas J. ONeil

                 The Universe is like a grain of sand,
                        only much, much bigger...

2. Misc Qs: 57600BAUD how? SLIP/DIP, STB VL24 Xconfig setting, Lucid Emacs?

3. Newbie seeks book recommendation

4. For experienced administrator

5. Book Recommendation for Newbie?

6. Recovering a tar file (was Re: Resurrecting MIDDLE-EARTH LPMud)

7. AIX Book Recommendation

8. Generic HDLC Protocols

9. Book recommendations

10. Need book recommendations for Solaris administration

11. Solaris book recommendation

12. Book recommendations for Unix/C newcomers

13. Book recommendation please