Any good multi-buffered tape copy programs?

Any good multi-buffered tape copy programs?

Post by Jerry Aguir » Fri, 01 Jul 1994 11:26:28

Does anyone have a PD tape copy program that is multi-buffered?
The standard tcopy reads and then writes and of course this causes
the streaming tape to not stream slowing it down and resulting in
extra wear.

I checked out and found something called tape_copy which seems to
do the same thing.  Also something called "buffer" wich is multi-buffered
but doesn't have any provision for automatically preserving the source
tapes record and file structure.

Anyone know of a decent package or do I need to hack my own?

Post by Leslie Mikese » Fri, 01 Jul 1994 11:42:43

>Does anyone have a PD tape copy program that is multi-buffered?
>The standard tcopy reads and then writes and of course this causes
>the streaming tape to not stream slowing it down and resulting in
>extra wear.

>I checked out and found something called tape_copy which seems to
>do the same thing.  Also something called "buffer" wich is multi-buffered
>but doesn't have any provision for automatically preserving the source
>tapes record and file structure.

I wrote one but it is "write-only" and uses sysV-style shared memory
so it isn't too portable.  Unlike the others I've seen, it knows
when the input data isn't keeping the tape streaming (well, it
guesses...) and lets the buffer fill completely before restarting
to reduce the start-stop action, and it can be told to fill a
huge non-shared buffer on these occasions which works nicely when
you are dribbling stuff in over a slow network link.  Hmmm, I
guess it doesn't automatically detect the input block size either
so maybe it's not quite what you want, but if anyone is interested
I'll dig out the source.

Les Mikesell

Post by David Wrig » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 01:15:17

  JA> Does anyone have a PD tape copy program that is multi-buffered?
  JA> The standard tcopy reads and then writes and of course this causes
  JA> the streaming tape to not stream slowing it down and resulting in
  JA> extra wear.

        What about piping the output through "dd" with a large buffer size?

                                                Dave

 |        /\ /          | Prism Computer Applications        |  David Wright  |

 |      /____\          | Lakewood, OH 44107  USA            |  216-228-1400  |

1. Copying multi-volume tapes onto a one-volume tape

Hi every1,

We have been using a (borrowed) 1/4" tape drive for a long time, but
now we bought our own 8mm tape drive.  The thing is that we have a
number of 1/4" tapes and want these copied onto 8mm tapes.

The problem is that I don't know how to turn multi-volume tapes into a
single tape.  For example, how do I copy a bootable three volume
system backup onto one tape so that I can still boot from the copy and
reinstall my system (if I have to).
   I'd also like to know if I can make copies of the IBM system tapes
(AIX 3.2.2 and AIX 3.2.5 update) onto one 8mm tape.  That way we won't
have to borrow the 1/4" drive anymore and installing will be a whole
bunch faster :-)

TIA,

--
\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_
Olaf Meeuwissen             Research fellow, Shinshu University, Japan

              You miss too much these days if you stop to think  -  U2

2. Need help with partioning

3. Where is a theaded and/or buffered tape copy utility?

4. What wrong with this network setup?

5. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

6. Raidport III support in Linux?

7. double-buffer, multi-buffer, openwindows

8. CVS help

9. buffer program to smooth tape operations

10. Raw tape copy without third-party programs?

11. tape copying program?

12. Searching for Tape-Copy program

13. Any good tape backup programs for Linux