I have some more questions for the experiences system adminstrators out
I am trying to tune the pereformance of the NFS on our campus NeXT
computer network on ethernet. I observed somethings I am not sure about.
The NFS performance is very poor at 8 kilobytes/sec when performing NFS
writes. I thought the problem might be with the mounts being performed.
The options for the rsize and wsize of the mounts now are just 1K. I read
somewhere that these values can be a maximum of 8k. The manual pages of
mount mentioned that changing these values can affect the performance in
Now I have some questions.
1. How can the buffer sizes (rsize, wsize) of the mounts affect the
performance of the NFS?
2. Can you plese tell me what values that are being used on your systems?
3. If you configure those values yourself, how to configure them, are
there any guidelines to follow ?
4. Are there any other tools available other than NHFSstone, nfsstat(1)
to analyze the NFS performance?
5. I can see that the number of NFS calls cab be decresed dramatically by
increasing these buffer sizes. Are there any negative effects if
the sizes are incresed?