help, erased files

Post by Mark Ina » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

        Is there a norton like utility for unix for someone who has
erased files and wants to get them back (no backups alas.) If there
are some tools for this, please send me email pointing me in
the right direction, or even just send me the util, if it exists :)
-Mark
(blush)

help, erased files

Post by Future Business Syste » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

:       Is there a norton like utility for unix for someone who has
: erased files and wants to get them back (no backups alas.) If there
: are some tools for this, please send me email pointing me in
: the right direction, or even just send me the util, if it exists :)
: -Mark
: (blush)

Blush indeed. For most versions of unix, this is flat-out impossible. The
latest version of SCO Unix (5.0) has an optional "unerase" facility. If your
version doesn't have this, forget it. You'll never be able to track down the
disk blocks used.
--
Daryl Kingham
Future Business Systems, Melbourne, Australia

help, erased files

Post by Richard Pier » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Mark>        Is there a norton like utility for unix for someone who has
Mark> erased files and wants to get them back (no backups alas.)

Not really. You're pretty much screwed if that disk has been in any kind
of use since the erasure. The only reliable way to recover from an
accidental erasure is routine backups.

--

PGP Public Key: Ask for one today!  \ drapes are there. -A cat's guide to life
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ratinox/ \

help, erased files

Post by Chris Gurciull » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

:       Is there a norton like utility for unix for someone who has
: erased files and wants to get them back (no backups alas.) If there
: are some tools for this, please send me email pointing me in
: the right direction, or even just send me the util, if it exists :)
: -Mark
: (blush)

        If you are using HP-UX you can get a hold of a utility called "unrm"
which, if you are root, sometimes lets you undelete files.  If you need
help finding it let me know.

Chris Gurciullo
Carnegie Mellon Univ.

help, erased files

Post by Phil Edwar » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

+       Is there a norton like utility for unix for someone who has
+ erased files and wants to get them back (no backups alas.) If there
+ are some tools for this, please send me email pointing me in
+ the right direction, or even just send me the util, if it exists :)

'Fraid not.  The general Unix attitude is "if it's important, you'll
have backed them up; if it's not backed up, it isn't important and
therefore you don't need them back".

Ways around this "problem" (although I like it) consist of:
        1) backup everything, even if it isn't important
        2) try using a soft-delete utility, comparable to UNDELETE
           turned onto the highest level:  "deleted" files are
           simply moved and renamed, and must periodically be
           purged
        3) consider a delete program which looks for dangerous
           things like wildcards and recursive delete.  A step in
           this direction is the safe_rm script, which can be had
           via email; send mail to me with a Subject: line of
           "send file saferm" (without the quotes) to get it
           automatically.

Burned hand teaches best, sorry we couldn't do more!

--

http://www.cs.wright.edu/people/students/pedwards/
The gods do not protect fools.  Fools are protected by more capable fools.

help, erased files

Post by Mike Fab » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

|:      Is there a norton like utility for unix for someone who has
|: erased files and wants to get them back (no backups alas.) If there
|: are some tools for this, please send me email pointing me in
|: the right direction, or even just send me the util, if it exists :)
|: -Mark
|: (blush)

Quote:>Blush indeed. For most versions of unix, this is flat-out impossible. The
>latest version of SCO Unix (5.0) has an optional "unerase" facility. If your
>version doesn't have this, forget it. You'll never be able to track down the
>disk blocks used.
>--
>Daryl Kingham

Actually, not quite.  There is a utility that Norton puts out that WILL
undelete files, however, it is very likely that the information has already
been overwritten, and the file unrecoverable.

--
Michael Faber

help, erased files

Post by Dave Mandelke » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> +       Is there a norton like utility for unix for someone who has
> + erased files and wants to get them back (no backups alas.) If there
> + are some tools for this, please send me email pointing me in
> + the right direction, or even just send me the util, if it exists :)

been shipping The Almond Utilities for UNIX (formerly the Norton Utilities
for UNIX) for the past 18 months or so, for SCO UNIX and SunOS 4.1.3U1 and
Solaris 2.4. Features include UnRemove, Disk Explorer, graphical directory
structure viewer, ScrubDisk, and more. For more information, please e-mail

product info or fax you a data sheet (with graphics) if you e-mail me your
fax number.

Hope this can help!

Regards,

Dave Mandelkern

1. Erased /dev/ files. Need help in restoring them.

I managed to erase about half of /dev files by accident using root privileges.
Without them I can't access my floppy, zip, sound, modem and lots of other
things.
I can't boot either since the kernel panic messages appear.  Other boot options
from boot diskette don't work either.  Fortunately, the CDROM for RH7.2
has rescue mode.  I used it and was able to save all my important files in
/dos.

I still can't boot normally without the missing /dev block files.  I need to
restore them but not willing to reinstall the entire RH7.2 over again.

Does anyone know how to restore my /dev block files?

Regards,
J. Kkachi.

2. Insufficient privileges

3. Does tctl erase really erase the tape

4. missing files

5. Change "stty erase ^?" for "stty erase ^H"

6. SysV printer class problem: -N option?

7. Is it possible to protect files from erasing from network?

8. How to split mail file?

9. root can't erase a file

10. partition x86 without erasing existing files

11. partially erasing a file (in C)?

12. files won't erase

13. to erase physically a file