environment with different unices

Post by Yuval Hage » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

This is a general question I beleive many people bumped into.
I hope this is the right place for this question.

I was wondering how can I setup easily and effectively a network (in
work) that consists of different types of unices.
We have Sparc2, 5, 10, 20, Ultra... running SunOS4.1.3, Solaris 2.5,
2.5.1,2.6. also we have a few PC's running Solaris...
The question is how can I set up the environment and mount points (of
the automounter) so that every system will have it's own binaries that
run only there, and may be some binaries from other system that is
compatible.
all this and still I want all the scripts (for instance .cshrc) to work
as usual on all the machines.

Thanks,

---
Yuval Hager

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

|I was wondering how can I setup easily and effectively a network (in
|work) that consists of different types of unices.
|We have Sparc2, 5, 10, 20, Ultra... running SunOS4.1.3, Solaris 2.5,
|2.5.1,2.6. also we have a few PC's running Solaris...
|The question is how can I set up the environment and mount points (of
|the automounter) so that every system will have it's own binaries that
|run only there, and may be some binaries from other system that is
|compatible.

One way would be to have an automount table with the following:

/import/local-share
/import/local-sparc-sunos4.1.3
/import/local-sparc-sunos5.5
/import/local-sparc-sunos5.5.1
/import/local-sparc-sunos5.6
/import/local-x86-sunos5.6

Then have /usr/local be a symbolic link to the appropriate
/import/local-whatever .  /import/local-share holds directories
like src that are shared over all OSes; the other /import/local-*
directories have symbolic links to there for those directories.
Perhaps have /usr/local-sparc-sunos4.1.3 , etc. be symbolic links
as well.

To allow for running stuff in binary compatibility mode, have
the users' .cshrc and .profile files detect which OS they are
on, then set the PATH appropriately.  E.g., if uname is SunOS
and uname -r is 5.5, put /usr/local/bin:/usr/local-sparc-sunos4.1.3/bin
in the PATH .

|all this and still I want all the scripts (for instance .cshrc) to work
|as usual on all the machines.

See "man uname".

1. Using a Laptop in different network environments and with different hardware configs

I'm thinking of getting rid of my home desktop and office desktop and
replacing them with one high-powered laptop.

I've just read over the Laptop-HOWTO at the LDP, and in there it mentions
various tools such as NetEnv, Divine and Mobile IP that can be used to setup
different "profiles" - e.g. Modem and dialup for on the road, cable or dsl or
wireless for home, ethernet for office, and there is also mention of
different hardware profiles (in case say I want to use a full size keyboard,
mouse and CRT at home and in the office).

However, the Laptop-HOWTO was last updated in 2000. What is the state of play
with modern distros (I'd prefer an RPM-based one) such as Red Hat 7.2 (or 7.3
beta) or Mandrake 8.2? Do any of them make this a little more "seamless"?
Could someone who has experience of this share their thoughts? It would be
very cool to just have the one machine that I took everywhere with me, but
not if it is going to be a right royal pain in the arse to get it to work
properly.

Also, how do the modern distros cope with pluggable drives - i.e. I'm assuming
that a reboot is needed if I swap a CD-RW drive with a DVD or a second hard
drive or a second battery (but maybe it isn't), but on reboot is the change
generally automagically recognised?

TIA, Darren

        Trying is the first step before failure (Homer Simpson)

2. drivers for Xircom PCMCIA card

3. transfer environment when login as different user

4. Disable fifo buffers?

5. Different Environments

6. bug in rpc.rstatd-3.01 ? rpc XDR return pack is 132 bytes long instead of 128.

7. What C++ development environments are available for different unix platforms?

8. Computer for Internet public access.

9. Different environments, one shell?

10. Dual boot IPs for different environments

11. Environment variables from different servers

12. How to make a single binary for the different Solaris 2.x environments?

13. setting up a build environment for a different target system