WHOIS now useless ??

Post by - Mr Bil » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Anyone tried a command line WHOIS inquiry lately?

The information returned is about useless,
no contact info
no address
no phone number
no email
no owner info
no billing info
zip nada.

Is there any specific WHOIS server that still
gives out the complete record ?

example below =>
ww3:~$ whois myname.com
[rs.internic.net]

Whois Server Version 1.1

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: MYNAME.COM
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS1.REQUEST.NET
   Name Server: NS2.REQUEST.NET
   Name Server: NS3.REQUEST.NET

Quote:>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 3 Dec 99 01:05:11 EST <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

WHOIS now useless ??

Post by John Doher » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> ww3:~$ whois myname.com
> [rs.internic.net]

> Whois Server Version 1.1

> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.

>    Domain Name: MYNAME.COM
>    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com

That's telling you which whois server to use to get the complete
record, so you can then query it:

  $ whois -h whois.networksolutions.com myname.com
  ... <snip> ...
  Registrant:
  Custom Domain Services (MYNAME-DOM)
     P.O. Box 1365
     Millersville, MD 21108

     Domain Name: MYNAME.COM

     Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:

        410-360-1876 (FAX) 410-360-1876

     Record last updated on 01-Oct-1997.
     Record created on 08-Sep-1995.
     Database last updated on 3-Dec-1999 12:19:14 EST.

     Domain servers in listed order:

     NS1.REQUEST.NET              206.151.75.9
     NS2.REQUEST.NET              208.211.228.3
     NS3.REQUEST.NET              209.27.13.3

--

WHOIS now useless ??

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone tried a command line WHOIS inquiry lately?

Now that there are multiple registrars, you have to go to the WHOIS server
for the registrar that the domain was established through.  That server is
given in the "Whois server:" line that whois.internic.net returns:

   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com

Quote:>Is there any specific WHOIS server that still
>gives out the complete record ?

horizon.opensrs.net will do an InterNIC whois and then query the server
specified in the returned data.

This has been discussed for the past few days in
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains.  I find it curious that you posted your
question to some Unix sysadmin newsgroups, where it's hardly on-topic
(WHOIS is just as important to non-Unix people), but not the domains group!

WHOIS now useless ??

Post by Stephen Klasse » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

If you would have read what it gave you... it explains that there is more
than one registrar (even offers a url)... to do a lookup like you're used
to:

> Anyone tried a command line WHOIS inquiry lately?

> The information returned is about useless,
> no contact info
> no address
> no phone number
> no email
> no owner info
> no billing info
> zip nada.

> Is there any specific WHOIS server that still
> gives out the complete record ?

> example below =>
> ww3:~$ whois myname.com
> [rs.internic.net]

> Whois Server Version 1.1

> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.

>    Domain Name: MYNAME.COM
>    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
>    Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
>    Name Server: NS1.REQUEST.NET
>    Name Server: NS2.REQUEST.NET
>    Name Server: NS3.REQUEST.NET

> The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
> Registrars.

WHOIS now useless ??

Post by Chris Can » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Try http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois/ Works for me!

WHOIS now useless ??

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Anyone tried a command line WHOIS inquiry lately?

> The information returned is about useless,
> no contact info
> no address
> no phone number
> no email
> no owner info
> no billing info
> zip nada.

> Is there any specific WHOIS server that still
> gives out the complete record ?

> example below =>
> ww3:~$ whois myname.com
> [rs.internic.net]

> Whois Server Version 1.1

> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.

>    Domain Name: MYNAME.COM
>    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
>    Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
>    Name Server: NS1.REQUEST.NET
>    Name Server: NS2.REQUEST.NET
>    Name Server: NS3.REQUEST.NET

> The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
> Registrars.

        Try "http://www.betterwhois.com".

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

WHOIS now useless ??

Post by Anthony Ortenz » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Get BW Whois, by Bill Weinman from http://www.bw.org/

It's a perl script which looks up the proper registrar and then queries its
whois server.

-Anthony

--
 - Anthony Dante Ortenzi
 - TSG Systems Engineer

1. - WHOIS now useless ??

[...]

2. What is a shell account?

3. This Week's Useless Thread About Useless Use of Cat Award goes t

4. Z-shell Frequently-Asked Questions

5. getting whois results from my list

6. Make and md5

7. whois -Retrieving mail ids

8. Strange lpr error message

9. Whois not working with firewall

10. looking for a working whois client

11. WHOIS server

12. REPOST: 'whois' does not work through using forwarding and firewall.

13. $ whois "Simon Cooke"