How to install Oracle...

Post by Maciej Bara » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:49:30

...7 Server Enterprise Editon on Reliant Unix 5.43 (machine siemens RM400)

I'm doing this first time, please help me.

How to install Oracle...

Post by L.Egbert » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 07:33:38

Isn't there some kind of easy install? That's the situation with
HP-UX..There are probably some enviromenent settings that you have to
adjust.Look at http://metalink.oracle.com
There you can find all information but you have to take an account for that
site....it's free!!!

Quote:> ...7 Server Enterprise Editon on Reliant Unix 5.43 (machine siemens RM400)

Post by David Nix » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:42:56

> Isn't there some kind of easy install? That's the situation with
> HP-UX..

 With HP-UX there quite a few details that have to be attended to.
I doubt if anyone without good sysadmin knowledge would find
this part easy.

 To the original poster I can say that following the Optimal Flexible
Architecture guildines helped me in planning an install of 8i Enterprise
64 bit Edition on HP-UX 11.0. Done this way, the initial install won't
limit your options for setting up databases.

David N. -- University of Liverpool, Computer Science Dept.

How to install Oracle...

Post by L.Egbert » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:42:24

I have to agree that the first time was not easy...but that was not beacause
of the Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition...but because of HP-UX..severall
enviroment settings had to be adjusted..but thats was all good documented by
Oracle..But before the installation you have to think about what you
want...and study the documentation. I was glad  we had a very good easy
install wizard...and I had no experience with Oracle.

> > Isn't there some kind of easy install? That's the situation with
> > HP-UX..

>  With HP-UX there quite a few details that have to be attended to.
> I doubt if anyone without good sysadmin knowledge would find
> this part easy.

>  To the original poster I can say that following the Optimal Flexible
> Architecture guildines helped me in planning an install of 8i Enterprise
> 64 bit Edition on HP-UX 11.0. Done this way, the initial install won't
> limit your options for setting up databases.

> David N. -- University of Liverpool, Computer Science Dept.

How to install Oracle...

Post by D_Kro » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 05:18:24

i try to install Oracle8.0.5 on linux & Solaris, and
Oracle8iEE and it's the same way.

description of commands (in order of execution) :

  -useradd : create accounts (see the documentation)
  -chmod : grant the rights to news user accounts
  -umask 022: idem (include in .profile or .bash_profile for securing)
  -groupadd: create a oinstall,dba group.
  -connect with oracle account and create the dirs.
  -create your auxiliary account like oradba (my recommendation)
  -login root and :
      -install JRE.1.1.8 from IBM
      -install JDK 1.1.8 from IBM
      -test your Graphical Environment (openwin, kde, ..etc)
      -if you have problems path your graph.env.
  -connect like oracle.
  -start the installation ....something like

mkdir /cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /cdrom /dev/cdrom
cd /cdrom
./oraInstaller

...check before :
   kernel version
   os modules installed
   Oracle OFA complaint: 5 mounts-points for 5 distinct oracle dirs.
   Disk space
   Memory req.
   A include os file (.h) with SHMAX vars definitions (for oracle compilat.)

if you have a problem you can press ALT-F1 and enter
with your aux account and correct a problem, or a SU connection.

and go on!

Quote:> > > Isn't there some kind of easy install?

but not is ahhhhh a world of software, only is anothert software.

See you

D_KROMA
Santiago de Chile
Web with Oracle Tips & others cases.

> I have to agree that the first time was not easy...but that was not beacause
> of the Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition...but because of HP-UX..severall
> enviroment settings had to be adjusted..but thats was all good documented by
> Oracle..But before the installation you have to think about what you
> want...and study the documentation. I was glad  we had a very good easy
> install wizard...and I had no experience with Oracle.

> > > Isn't there some kind of easy install? That's the situation with
> > > HP-UX..

> >  With HP-UX there quite a few details that have to be attended to.
> > I doubt if anyone without good sysadmin knowledge would find
> > this part easy.

> >  To the original poster I can say that following the Optimal Flexible
> > Architecture guildines helped me in planning an install of 8i Enterprise
> > 64 bit Edition on HP-UX 11.0. Done this way, the initial install won't
> > limit your options for setting up databases.

> > David N. -- University of Liverpool, Computer Science Dept.

1. Problem installing Oracle on Linux

I have just started to install the Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux and
have run into a little problem (I am using RedHat 5.1). I setup
the proper oracle user and group and set up the proper env
variables in the .profile of the oralce user I setup like so:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$ORACLE_HOME/lib"
ORACLE_BASE="/u01/app/oracle"
TMP_DIR="/tmp"
ORACLE_TERM="vt100"
PATH="$PATH:/$ORACLE_HOME/bin"
ORACLE_SID="doug"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH ORACLE_BASE TMP_DIR ORACLE_TERM ORACLE_SID
PATH

I then went in as the Oracle user and in /cdrom/orainst I looked
for the file orainst like the instructions say but instead find:

00_TRANS.TBL  crora.sh*     install*      root.sh

I am not sure where the orainst file is but I run install
instead, it asks me a few questions (mentions that it will
require only 300MB of disk space - this seems small) - what is
the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and then says "extracting from the
CD". Then it says:

Do you want to create a database now? [n]
Saving listener.ora -> listener.ora.sav
Saving tnsnames.ora -> tnsnames.ora.sav
Creating listener.ora ...
Creating tnsnames.ora ...
Creating database ...
Environment settings are in file in /opt/oracle/.env
To set environment :
                $ cd $ORACLE_HOME; . ./.env

Installation complete.
Login as root and run root.sh

This is where all the problems start. I log into another term as
root, set the env settings like it says (for both the oracle dba
user and root just to be safe) with the .env script and then I
try to run root.sh as root and receive the message:

Please set ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID environment variables before
invoking this and run this as root
/bin/chmod: oracle: No such file or directory
/bin/chmod: oracle: No such file or directory

The problem that I have here is that the ORACLE_HOME and
ORACLE_SID are set. When I echo these variables they are set:

/opt/oracle

doug

What seems to be the problem here? The one other thing here is
that I have verified that the oratab file has been created. I was
not able to find the oratab.sh script but I found a oratab in
/etc. I read in the documentation that this should be in
/var/opt/oracle. I have copied the /etc/oratab to this location
just to make sure. Can anyone tell me what it is that I need to
do to run root.sh and exactly what the next step is in this crasy
install process.

Thank you for your time.

2. Redhat Install - Error 2

3. JRE error when installing Oracle 8i.

4. 2.5.46: buffer layer error at fs/buffer.c:1623

5. cannot install oracle on IBM AIX

6. "usb-storage" and "ub" modules with usb floppy drive and usb flash key

7. can't install oracle on freebsd4.3

8. Login Problem/NIS/ypserv

9. Error installing Oracle on Solaris 2.5.1

10. Anyone installed Oracle successfully?

11. unable to install oracle 8i on intel solaris 8

12. Problem Installing Oracle Application Server on Linux

13. IPC ??? what packages i need to install ORACLE