Looking for info on optical storage technologies

Looking for info on optical storage technologies

Post by Mark Fro » Mon, 27 Jan 1992 11:59:51

Hello.  I'm looking for info about using optical media for backups.  We are
familiar with DAT tapes and somewhat familiar with 8MM tapes (basically, the
front-runners in the backup battles :-) ).  We are trying to investigate the
possibilities of using optical media for in-house backups.

Specifically, I would like answer to the following questions:

- Are optical media more or less reliable than the more common forms of
magnetic media? (I would think the answer here would be more reliable, but I
don't know for sure)

- How does the optical media compare cost-wise with the popular forms of
magnetic storage media?  What is the approximate cost-per-megabyte?

- Who makes optical drives?  (We're probably most interested in the juke
boxes).  Any recommendations?

- Any other problems or raves or anything relevant about using optical media
for backups would be appreciated.

Thanks mucho!

        ---mmm---------  System Administrator - R&D Engineering Group
      -----mmmmm-------  Pyramid Technology Corporation
    -------mmmmmmm-----  3860 North First Street
  ---------mmmmmmmmm---  San Jose, California 95134
-----------mmmmmmmmmmm-  (408) 428-8163

Post by Dave Ols » Mon, 27 Jan 1992 13:57:55

| Hello.  I'm looking for info about using optical media for backups.  We are
| familiar with DAT tapes and somewhat familiar with 8MM tapes (basically, the
| front-runners in the backup battles :-) ).  We are trying to investigate the
| possibilities of using optical media for in-house backups.
|
| Specifically, I would like answer to the following questions:
|
| - Are optical media more or less reliable than the more common forms of
| magnetic media? (I would think the answer here would be more reliable, but I
| don't know for sure)

It depends on who's numbers you believe.  I think it is about a wash.

| - How does the optical media compare cost-wise with the popular forms of
| magnetic storage media?  What is the approximate cost-per-megabyte?

Far more expensive.  Typically around $200 for 1 Gbyte (2 sides, manual
intervention needed to use other side, unless you have a jukebox).

| - Who makes optical drives?  (We're probably most interested in the juke
| boxes).  Any recommendations?

Maxtor and Sony seem to be the 2 big ones; I prefer Maxtor (actually,
Maxoptix).  There are a number of other vendors, mostly Japanese
(Ricoh is the only other one I can think of at the moment).

| - Any other problems or raves or anything relevant about using optical media
| for backups would be appreciated.

Typically for current products, you get about 1/2 the speed writing
as reading, because an erase pass is done first (unless you are talking
about WORM drives, which I personally don't care for).  The Maxoptix
drive is the fastest that I have worked with.  About 700 Kbytes/sec
max read speed, and 325 Kb/s write speed.  Maxoptix also has one of
the best seek times (35 ms/ 1/3 stroke seek, as opposed to 80-100 for
many of the others).  I haven't looked at any of them for about a year,
other than Maxoptix, so this may have changed somewhat.
--

1. My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

My Microsoft Optical Wireless mouse with Tilt Wheel technology works
just fine under Windows 2000.  I dual boot into SuSE, and my mouse
works for the most part except the part that I want most, the reason I
bought the mouse, the "tilt wheel" doesn't function.

I suspect that there may be some command that  I can put in my
/etc/X11/XF86Config file that will magically make my mouse work.  My
mouse in total has 7 functions.  It has the (1) Left and (2) Right
mouse button, (3) The scroll button is clickable, (4) Scroll Up, (5)
Scroll down, (6) Scroll Right, (7) Scroll Left.

2. PDF file sharing and updating

3. CFP - Extended Deadline (12 June) - Workshop on Scalable File Systems and Storage Technologies

4. llc & 2.5.48

5. Sony OSL 6000 Optical Storage Library and Linux

6. sshd takes a while

7. Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '03) Call for Papers

8. Linux + ISP's

9. IBM 3995 C60 OPTICAL STORAGE LIBRARY RS6000 or AS400

10. 2nd USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '03)

11. Call for papers - 2nd Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '03)

12. Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '03) Call for Papers

13. Experiences with Optical Storage