IBM mainframe to UNIX print spool

Post by Lynn L. Raga » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi out there,

I'm trying to set up a Linux print spool solution for our network at
UCLA.  The print spool host is a RedHat Linux 5.2 box. It is
successfully spooling jobs from Sun, WindowsNT, Workstation, and other
Linux boxes. But I can't seem to get the IBM mvs mainframes to print
through this server. Both mainframes are using a package called VPS.  I
get a response in the printlogs which say:

May  7 09:41:58 sambaptr1 lpd[560]: aisprod.ais.ucla.edu requests
recvjob LPMF
May  7 09:41:58 sambaptr1 lpd[560]: can't find user - can't fork

I have made appropriate entries in the /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.lpd

The print files actually do arrive on my system. I can cat the contents
of the print file and control files. Data does exist in the spool
directory. So, How do I find out what user my lpd is trying to spawn as.
There is nothing in the man pages about this that I've been able to
find.

Any help rendered will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lynn Ragan
UCLA - SOMITS

IBM mainframe to UNIX print spool

Post by Hoka » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi out there,

>I'm trying to set up a Linux print spool solution for our network at
>UCLA.  The print spool host is a RedHat Linux 5.2 box. It is
>successfully spooling jobs from Sun, WindowsNT, Workstation, and other
>Linux boxes. But I can't seem to get the IBM mvs mainframes to print
>through this server. Both mainframes are using a package called VPS.  I
>get a response in the printlogs which say:

>May  7 09:41:58 sambaptr1 lpd[560]: aisprod.ais.ucla.edu requests
>recvjob LPMF
>May  7 09:41:58 sambaptr1 lpd[560]: can't find user - can't fork

>I have made appropriate entries in the /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.lpd

>The print files actually do arrive on my system. I can cat the contents
>of the print file and control files. Data does exist in the spool
>directory. So, How do I find out what user my lpd is trying to spawn as.
>There is nothing in the man pages about this that I've been able to
>find.

>Any help rendered will be much appreciated.

>Thanks

>Lynn Ragan
>UCLA - SOMITS

What do you use for a SNA gateway?  Your VPS software needs a gateway
to your lan.  Then find out the method (SMB, IPX, IP?) your SNA
gateway uses to do lan printing.

If you have TCP/IP installed on your MVS system, you could skip VPS
and LPR right to your print server.

--
This is my .signature !

1. Print from IBM mainframe to UNIX

[Please excuse the crossposting -- I'm not quite sure which is the
appropriate newsgroup for this     -bl]

My company uses IBM mainframes rather heavily. On the IBM boxes, we
use a print system named PSF, which generates print output in a format
named IPDS (Intelligent Printer Data Stream). As far as I gather, IPDS
is a IBM proprietary page description language.

We are in the process of aquiring a large number of UNIX systems
(servers and workstations of various brands), most of them with
local PostScript printers attached.

What we need is some way to access these printers from the mainframes.

Does anybody know of software that will let a UNIX server mimic a
3270-connected IPDS printer, translate the IPDS datastream to PostScript,
and send the output to an appropriate printer?

Any other solutions would be interesting: special hardware to do this,
or software in the mainframe are possibilities that spring to mind.
PD or commercial. Cheap or expensive. We have money :-)

[ warning: I know preciously little about IBM mainframes and
the software that runs on them. Any information about IPDS would
be welcome as well. ]

---
Bjorn Larsen                            STATOIL, DATA/TD

2. How to make a .so file ???

3. UNIX for IBM mainframe???

4. Kernel 1.3.57 compile problem

5. IBM mainframe/Unix connectivity questions/issues

6. Bootable CD

7. UNIX (AIX) mail to/from IBM mainframe PS/CICS

8. HomePNA 2.0 problems

9. A Single Windows Interface to Access UNIX, IBM Mainframe, and AS/400 hosts

10. Possible to telnet IBM mainframe -> Unix?

11. IBM mainframe to unix i386 conversions

12. Unix ----> IBM Mainframe

13. Security vulnerability in IBM mainframe z/OS Unix System Services