PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

Post by David Wolf » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Oh, please, Unix wizards!  Help me fix this before I get chewed out!

I was monkeying around with some init files on an SGI Onyx 2 running IRIX
6.4 that someone was foolish enough to give me root access to and I must've
screwed up somewhere.  I made pretty substantial edits to the following
files: ~/.cshrc, ~/.login (for several users--gulp!) and /etc/cshrc.  I
edited a few *characters* in /etc/passwd, changing the shell from
/usr/bin/csh to /usr/bin/tcsh for a handful of users.  Some people had asked
me if there wasn't something better than csh on our system and I said,
"Sure, I've been using tcsh--I'll see if I can get it set up for you guys."

Well, I got it to work great under the root-access account I used to make
the changes--lots of neat programmed completions, smart key bindings,
directory displayed in the Xwsh titlebar, etc.  I thought, "These guys are
gonna *love* this!"  And they will, I'm sure.  But I discovered after
logging in as myself once again that I'd 'broken' something.  When I type:

% cd ~dave

I get:

dave: Unknown user

I logged in under another account and--same thing.  Other than this,
everything seems to work okay.  Can anyone tell me what I may have done to
cause this?  My instinct tells me it's something incredibly simple, but I
only know enough Unix to be dangerous, so this has got me pretty stumped.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  I sure am gonna feel stupid
if I can't fix this before everyone gets back from vacation!

Best regards,

Dave Wolfe
gForce Technologies Inc.

P.S.  Sorry if this is a post worthy of a RTFM response; I'm a little
panicked because my mistake is going to start affecting other people here
soon...

PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

Post by Ken Walli » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Did you maybe stuff up the permissions on /etc/passwd so only root can read
it?

Good Luck,

Ken Wallis

Empower Data Solutions Pty Limited, ACN 079 955 196

Envision, enable, enhance... empower

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Oh, please, Unix wizards!  Help me fix this before I get chewed out!

> I was monkeying around with some init files on an SGI Onyx 2 running IRIX
> 6.4 that someone was foolish enough to give me root access to and I must've
> screwed up somewhere.  I made pretty substantial edits to the following
> files: ~/.cshrc, ~/.login (for several users--gulp!) and /etc/cshrc.  I
> edited a few *characters* in /etc/passwd, changing the shell from
> /usr/bin/csh to /usr/bin/tcsh for a handful of users.  Some people had asked
> me if there wasn't something better than csh on our system and I said,
> "Sure, I've been using tcsh--I'll see if I can get it set up for you guys."

> Well, I got it to work great under the root-access account I used to make
> the changes--lots of neat programmed completions, smart key bindings,
> directory displayed in the Xwsh titlebar, etc.  I thought, "These guys are
> gonna *love* this!"  And they will, I'm sure.  But I discovered after
> logging in as myself once again that I'd 'broken' something.  When I type:

> % cd ~dave

> I get:

> dave: Unknown user

> I logged in under another account and--same thing.  Other than this,
> everything seems to work okay.  Can anyone tell me what I may have done to
> cause this?  My instinct tells me it's something incredibly simple, but I
> only know enough Unix to be dangerous, so this has got me pretty stumped.

                [...snip...]

        I had this the other day in a mixed SunOS and SOLARIS NIS domain.
The SOLARIS server would get what you describe trying to "cd" but
the user would show up fine with "finger".  I went to the SunOS NIS
master, did a "touch /etc/passwd" and then repushed the maps and
that seemed to fix it.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

Post by DWolfe52 » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Er, uh--oops.  Ken was right.  I had inadvertently changed the permissions on
/etc/passwd when I edited it, so no one could read it but root.  Can you say,
"Duh!"  In the state I was in early this morning, it never even crossed my
mind.  Everything's running great now.  Thanks!
-D.W.

PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

Post by simon.co.. » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've also seen something similar when entries when there is rubbish on a
particular line in /etc/passwd, that all the lines after this point are suddenly
"not there", resulting in this kind of error. Check the passwd file either
manually, or with an automated checker if available (Sorry, not very familar
with this particular flavour of U**x)

Simon

--

To reply change under-scores to dots and and AT to a sign

    "If it's in the manual, it ain't worth knowing!"

1. PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

Oh, please, Unix wizards!  Help me fix this puzzling problem... :-)

[...]

2. Considering installing Linux with Diamond64 DRAM/ARK 2000pv

3. Unix/linux "installation user" vs MS Windows "installation user".

4. Melissa author, reasable doubt?

5. USING SENDMAIL "user@domain.com" vs. "user@host.domain.com"

6. Linking two PC together...

7. Sendmail - "defaulting" unknown users to known user

8. Pine: how to use another user ID?

9. userdel : "user" is in use, but "user" isn't logged

10. Login:users cannot "cd to /home/user"

11. Sendmail problems "Returned Mail: User Unknown"

12. user getting some "super user" access?

13. user permissions and the "nobody" user