Got a free UNIX box and need HELP.

Post by George Hayne » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> What I want to do is erase everything on the computer and re-build the
> system.  I don't care what I have to do as long as someone can tell me
how
> to remove the os, and get to some sort of prompt.

Boot the machine from the A: drive, CD-ROM or tape of the O.S. that you are
going to install and take it from there. If you are going to install UNIX
you should then start the system up in su mode.

Good luck

Got a free UNIX box and need HELP.

Post by Dennis Taylo » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I was given a UNIX box running SCO UNIX os, and I want to get rid of it.
> The person who gave it to me only knew the login name and password of two
> people.  When you log in with these two people you are automatically
thrown
> into a "Medical Manager" program, and when you exit the program you are
> thrown to the login prompt.  Nobody knows the root name and password to
get
> in, so I can't modify the system.

> What I want to do is erase everything on the computer and re-build the
> system.  I don't care what I have to do as long as someone can tell me
how
> to remove the os, and get to some sort of prompt.

Boot up the system with an MSDOS system disk in A: then use fdisk to blow
away the unix partition.
then you can do a * install of whatever you want.

If you don't want to blow away the unix partition, then get someone to make
you a boot and root disk for sco for your configuration. Boot off the
floppies, mount hd0 to some directory, and edit /etc/passwd. Depending on
the version you are running you may also have to go into the /tcb
structure.

Post by mcca.. » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: alt.unix.wizards,alt.unix.wizards.free,comp.unix,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions
> Subject: Got a free UNIX box and need HELP.
> Date: 27 Sep 1996 04:49:26 GMT

> I was given a UNIX box running SCO UNIX os, and I want to get rid of it.
> The person who gave it to me only knew the login name and password of two
> people.  When you log in with these two people you are automatically thrown
> into a "Medical Manager" program, and when you exit the program you are
> thrown to the login prompt.  Nobody knows the root name and password to get
> in, so I can't modify the system.

> What I want to do is erase everything on the computer and re-build the
> system.  I don't care what I have to do as long as someone can tell me how
> to remove the os, and get to some sort of prompt.

> Thanks in advance.

> Vince.

What type of box is it??
I am somewhat new to Unix, but without the root password I believe
you are going to have to reinstall the system from scratch from the
release media.
As far as the software installed on it now, you probably
won't be able to back up without higher privileges.

Post by James Youngm » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I was given a UNIX box running SCO UNIX os, and I want to get rid of it.
>The person who gave it to me only knew the login name and password of two
>people.  When you log in with these two people you are automatically thrown
>into a "Medical Manager" program, and when you exit the program you are
>thrown to the login prompt.  Nobody knows the root name and password to get
>in, so I can't modify the system.

>What I want to do is erase everything on the computer and re-build the
>system.  I don't care what I have to do as long as someone can tell me how
>to remove the os, and get to some sort of prompt.

All you need to do is boot with a Linux boot disk, mount the hard disk
filesystem and set the root password to nothing.  Then you have a working
system -- apart from it being SCO instead of Linux of course.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

Post by John Hobso » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > Newsgroups: alt.unix.wizards,alt.unix.wizards.free,comp.unix,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions
> > Subject: Got a free UNIX box and need HELP.
> > Date: 27 Sep 1996 04:49:26 GMT

> > I was given a UNIX box running SCO UNIX os, and I want to get rid of it.
> > The person who gave it to me only knew the login name and password of two
> > people.  When you log in with these two people you are automatically thrown
> > into a "Medical Manager" program, and when you exit the program you are
> > thrown to the login prompt.  Nobody knows the root name and password to get
> > in, so I can't modify the system.

> > What I want to do is erase everything on the computer and re-build the
> > system.  I don't care what I have to do as long as someone can tell me how
> > to remove the os, and get to some sort of prompt.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Vince.
> What type of box is it??
> I am somewhat new to Unix, but without the root password I believe
> you are going to have to reinstall the system from scratch from the
> release media.
> As far as the software installed on it now, you probably
> won't be able to back up without higher privileges.

A couple of points:

When quoting a message, do not include the entire message header.  I
know how you can set this up with Netscape, but I don't know how
the Microsoft newsreader does it.

If you have access to a set of bootable media (tape, CD-ROM, floppy)
for the OS, you can boot the machine in single user mode.  I do it
frequently.
--
John Hobson             |Whenever someone says to me,
Unix Support Group      |"Have a nice day", I reply,

Got a free UNIX box and need HELP.

Post by Jeff Dro » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

If you can actually remove the hadr disk, and IF (big if) the drive has
some standard interface, then you can install in annother machine (a
linux box like mine would work) with support for your file system, and mount
the drive. IF you are lucky enough to be able to do all that, then simply
edit the file /etc/passed and change the password for root to nothing
(the password will be the giberish string of characters), and I mean
nothing (not a single space, I mean nothing).  Then return the drive to
it's origional machine, and log in as root.  You won't be asked for a
password..... away your go!

Jeff DRost

: I was given a UNIX box running SCO UNIX os, and I want to get rid of it.
: The person who gave it to me only knew the login name and password of two
: people.  When you log in with these two people you are automatically thrown
: into a "Medical Manager" program, and when you exit the program you are
: thrown to the login prompt.  Nobody knows the root name and password to get
: in, so I can't modify the system.

: What I want to do is erase everything on the computer and re-build the
: system.  I don't care what I have to do as long as someone can tell me how
: to remove the os, and get to some sort of prompt.

: Thanks in advance.

: Vince.