System V r.4 versions question

Post by Evelyn Tuml » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 04:59:28

Thanks to all those who responded to my ksh question!  Placing
the history file in a non-NFS directory (/tmp) took care of the
problem.

I am running several 386 systems with AT&T System V r.4.
Our current version is 2.1, and we're thinking of upgrading
to 3.2.  If anyone out there has made the same transition,
I need answers to the following questions?

1. How much does such an upgrade cost?

2. Would the change involve simply installing an upgrade disk(s),
   or would we need to re-install the entire operating system?

3. How do the two versions compare?  Is one much better than the
   other?  Much worse?  Indistinguishable?

Any information of this kind would be helpful.

Thanks,

[this space intentionally left blank]

1. How does module version / kernnel version system work?

I've sort of wondered this for a while and now need to provide a binary
only module to someone and am forced to confront the issue.  Currently he
gets this message when doing an insmod:
     alloc_skb: wrong version or undefined
     register_netdev: wrong version or undefined
     [other kernel/net symbols...] wrong version or undefined
your
     linux-2.0.20

So this leads me to wonder, assuming both kernels were compiled with the
"set module version" option, which of these can I hope to achieve?

a. load my 2.0.20 on his 2.0.20?
b. load my 2.0.20 on his 2.0.z (where z > 20)?
c. load my 2.0.20 on his 2.0.x (where x < 20)?
d. load my 2.0.20 on his 2.Z.x (where Z > 0)?

I would hope at the least, (a).  If so, why would he get the message above?
(by the way, there is a possibility that one or both our kernels *don't*
have the module version enabled...I need to check on that)

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd sure appreciate it.

2. Internet Charging + FREE Software

3. System.map version does not match kernel version

4. Problem with AHA2740

5. System V r4 version questions

6. sed question

7. Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

8. Source code for TOP

9. Warning: /boot/System.map has an incorrect kernel version.

10. Version control system?

11. installing 2 AIX versions on one system

12. find out version of operating system

13. Shell Curses Version 1.11 (w/ menu system)