UPS(shutdown) software for ULTRIX network

UPS(shutdown) software for ULTRIX network

Post by Cary Burnet » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 06:14:01

Hello:

 We have just installed a UPS in our computer lab, it has software that
lets you monitor the state of the UPS and shut the computers down in the
event of an extended power outage. The Problem is that the software only
works for one computer and we have a network of workstations on the UPS.

 Does anyone know of  a way for the machine monitoring the UPS, to signal
the other machines and have them shut down ?

 All the machines are DEC Mips workstations running Ultrix 4.2A

Thanks for any information.

 Cary

--

 McNair Hall                                |
 North Carolina A&T State University        | Phone: (919)334-7648

UPS(shutdown) software for ULTRIX network

Post by will do TCP/IP for foo » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 11:24:30

Quote:> Does anyone know of  a way for the machine monitoring the UPS, to signal
>the other machines and have them shut down ?

        This is a tricky problem! It would seem easy at first blush to have
a server that could be invoked from inetd that would execute a shutdown
if connected to from the proper authorized server from a privileged port.
On the other hand, if you have playful folks on your net they might amuse
themselves at your expense.

mjr.
--
"3. Since telecommunication switching systems contains mega lines of code
   (our present [deleted] system has 6 Mega lines of code) we must assume that

Post by John Hasca » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 12:23:34

Quote:}> Does anyone know of  a way for the machine monitoring the UPS, to signal
}>the other machines and have them shut down ?
}       This is a tricky problem! It would seem easy at first blush to have
}a server that could be invoked from inetd that would execute a shutdown
}if connected to from the proper authorized server from a privileged port.
}On the other hand, if you have playful folks on your net they might amuse
}themselves at your expense.

A couple of options:
     If the sending machine is `secure' (software & physical wise)
     checking for a priv'd port and the IP address of the sender
     is probably secure enough, i.e., getpeername()

     If that is not secure enough then you may wish to look into
     using Kerberos (actually you should look into it anyway ;-) * 1/2
     to provided an authenticated connection.

This all assumes you can perform arbitrary tasks on the monitoring
machine upon receipt of this signal (the docs and/or vendor of your
UPS should be able to answer this).

John
--
John Hascall           Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain
Project Vincent

Ames, IA  50011                                      515/294-9551 [fax -1717]

UPS(shutdown) software for ULTRIX network

Post by John P. Rouilla » Sun, 12 Jul 1992 01:25:29

I assume that the UPS software is running as root so it can execute
some sort of shutdown script.

I would hook my UPS up to my master server for the network, i.e. the
server that can rsh as root to all other machines.  Once that is done,
just use rsh to run commands to do shutdown etc on the other machines
as part of your shutdown script that gets invoked when the UPS
triggers the monitor.

Run the rsh's in the background with the -n flag, and redirect
stdin/out/err appropriately.

-- John