How to mirror a server to another server?

How to mirror a server to another server?

Post by Kjell Ove Skars » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:50:55

Does anybody know how to copy the entire content of a server from one
machine to another.
I assume that it's possible to take a restore from a full backup, or
maybe use the dd-command with some options.
The issue is that on the original system the disk are devided into
three partitions, and I want to keep this structure but increase the
amount of space on each partition. I'm of course taking the system up
on a larger disk.

Any idea of how to complete this issue without sitting with the same
amount of free space as before + extra unallocated diskspace?

Thanks in advance.

How to mirror a server to another server?

Post by Adam Pric » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 02:54:32

Quote:> Does anybody know how to copy the entire content of a server from one
> machine to another.
> I assume that it's possible to take a restore from a full backup, or
> maybe use the dd-command with some options.
> The issue is that on the original system the disk are devided into
> three partitions, and I want to keep this structure but increase the
> amount of space on each partition. I'm of course taking the system up
> on a larger disk.

> Any idea of how to complete this issue without sitting with the same
> amount of free space as before + extra unallocated diskspace?

> Thanks in advance.

At the most generic level (Which is all we can give since you
don't say what OS you are using)....
Use whatever backup tools you use for your daily backups, create
the new partitions, create the filesystems on them, put on a
bootblock, restore the data from your backup medium, do what
you need to do to sort out the device ID's, shut down and boot
from the new disks.
Some of these steps can be short circuited on some versions of
unix on some hardware.
Some of them can be much more complicated than they look depending
on the hardware and software configuration used to present the
filesystems to the server.
Hope this helps
Adam

Post by Kjell Ove Skars » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 06:33:09

> > Does anybody know how to copy the entire content of a server from one
> > machine to another.
> > I assume that it's possible to take a restore from a full backup, or
> > maybe use the dd-command with some options.
> > The issue is that on the original system the disk are devided into
> > three partitions, and I want to keep this structure but increase the
> > amount of space on each partition. I'm of course taking the system up
> > on a larger disk.

> > Any idea of how to complete this issue without sitting with the same
> > amount of free space as before + extra unallocated diskspace?

> > Thanks in advance.
> At the most generic level (Which is all we can give since you
> don't say what OS you are using)....
> Use whatever backup tools you use for your daily backups, create
> the new partitions, create the filesystems on them, put on a
> bootblock, restore the data from your backup medium, do what
> you need to do to sort out the device ID's, shut down and boot
> from the new disks.
> Some of these steps can be short circuited on some versions of
> unix on some hardware.
> Some of them can be much more complicated than they look depending
> on the hardware and software configuration used to present the
> filesystems to the server.
> Hope this helps
> Adam

The Server OS is Solaris 2.5.1 with oracle 7.3.4 on top.

1. Mirror NT web server with Apache Server ( serving .asp files )

Hello,

        I'm working on mirroring a web server. The server is an NT served site.
It uses Microsoft's IIS software. Pages that are generated have a .asp
extension. While Apache server can serve them to my browser, they are
not displayed as a document. But the content looks like html.

        I'm not sure I'm saying this correctly. But is there a way to serve out
the asp files as html files? Can I run them through a utility to
translate them? I'd rather not. I want to be able to mirror the site
with as little manipulation to the original files as possible.

        I'm using wget to copy the site from server to server.

        So, what can I do. I do not have access to the NT machine. Nor do I
want it. But, to cover my posterior, I need to provide some backup for
it.

        I hope this all makes sense.

        Thanks in advance,

        Lyndon

2. Find your sole mate here!! Post your FREE personal ADs here!

3. News server to mirror a couple groups from another server?

4. dell 1702fp driver

5. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?

6. X Configuration

7. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

8. Doom ps/2 mice problem fixed!

9. Can NCSA HTTP server be set up as Proxy Server and Web server?

10. Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

11. problems mirroring files among unix servers...

12. German FTP-Server ready/Mirroring tsx-11

13. http protocol and mirroring www servers