Filters and /etc/printcap

Post by Jack Stewa » Sun, 31 Jan 1993 09:30:39

How do filters in /etc/printcap work?  Do they read from STDIN and
write to STDOUT.  Do they read from a file and write to STDOUT or do
they read and write to a file?

I need to generate my own filter program for /etc/printcap.  The
reason is that I need to append a ^D to the end of postscript files.
This is because the printer that I have (an HP Laserjet IV) needs to
see ^D at the end of files or it will generate a timeout error
message.  The printer is connected to a Network box that puts it on
the ethernet.

I tried writing a short perl script that did the obvious (file or
STDIN to STDOUT) without any luck.  I should be getting an update to
the software to the Network printing box but that won't be for about a
week or so.  In the mean time, I would like to get the printer up and
running.  I am also curious about how the filter files in the printcap
file work ( I could not find any documentation on the mechanism that
they use).

Any help is appreciated.  Please send me E-Mail if possible as it will
get to me faster than news.  I will summarize the results to the 'net.
Thanks in advance.

---Jack

--

Caltech Concurrent Supercomputing Facilities,     Phone: 818-356-2153
Mail Code # 158-79, 391 S. Holliston,

1. installing ghostscript as filter in /etc/printcap

I keep reading about how easy it is to install ghostscript as a print
filter to allow easy printing of Postscript files to non-postscript printers.
I still haven't seen an /etc/printcap with this implemented, however, nor
have I been able to find anything online with specific examples of how to
implement this, and AFAIK, it's not in the Ghostscript docs, either.

My present /etc/printcap is as follows:

hardcopy|hardcopy: \
   :lp=/dev/lp1: \
   :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/hardcopy: \
   :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/hardcopy/errs: \
   :mx#0: \
   :sh: \
   :sf:

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks.

--
<h1><blink>If this line blinks, then it's time to get a newsreader that
doesn't encourage HTML news posting!  There are many that are better

2. no modules for `login' service?

3. Help needed: Ghostscript as /etc/printcap filter

4. From a newbie (to kernel compilation).

5. Using Output Filters in /etc/printcap

6. 2.5.20: APIC PCI IRQ remapping still lost.

7. How to set up filters in /etc/printcap?

8. Linux hackers took control of Iridium satellites, Mars Polar Lander

9. SUMMARY: Filters and /etc/printcap

10. /etc/printcap entry and filters for NEC SilentWriter 2 /90

11. Filter todos in the /etc/printcap file for IBM 4019 & HP Laserjet printer

12. Help with Slackware 7, /etc/printcap, filters, and TCP/IP Printing

13. Printcap -d filter (etc)