Establishing direct net acess.

Post by Douglas McHu » Wed, 13 Jan 1993 03:53:03

In short, I will be going to Kuwait and I would like to continue
using this net.  Do you know what steps are needed to establish
net acess or could you lead me in the right direction to seek help?

thank you

--
Douglas McHugh

TRW Inc. S-2470                (213) 812-4679
One Space Park, S-2470, Redondo Beach, California 90278   USA

1. How to establish a PPP connection over direct cable from W2K to Linux ?

I'm trying to establish a PPP connection between a W2K PC to a Linux
RedHat 7.1 box over direct cable (null modem) conenction.

On the W2K PC I've created a null modem and dial-up client connection
using this null modem port.

On the Linux box I'm running pppd on the serial port.

I've connected the two PCs with a null modem cable and set both to
38400 speed.

Now, the PC is dialing (sending ATE1) to the Linux server. The Linux
opens a ppp session and respond with LCP Config-Request messages.
The problem is that the W2K client does not responds to the LCP
packets, and after some retransmitions and a timeout, the pppd gives
up.

It seems like the W2K does not launch ppp on its side. It probabley
expects a reply from the other side.
I tried to run chat on the Linux, but I do not know what does the W2K
client expects in order to start ppp.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Roy

2. Disable JFS Log During Restore

3. startup problem establishing direct SLIP connection, route drops

4. modem problems (help)

5. How to use the net card adress to refuse some acess in Linux

6. Need Help on Different Subnets

7. Problems configuring net stuff, please direct to proper source?

8. A Question on PCMCIA

9. Direct access via net to root shell

10. Direct Connect to net

11. Acessing Print Server Without Static IP

12. Acessing Track Ball from XFree

13. Newbie question about apache and acessing home directories