Alias fails

Post by q.. » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

When I open my X-Windows session, I can not force to alias take effect
(I use ksh). My .dtprofile sources .profile for sure - all environment
is loaded but not aliases.  What is missing ???

Thanks a lot,
Qlos

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Alias fails

Post by Ted J. Loeffelhol » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> When I open my X-Windows session, I can not force to alias take effect
> (I use ksh). My .dtprofile sources .profile for sure - all environment
> is loaded but not aliases.  What is missing ???

> Thanks a lot,
> Qlos

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Where are you calling out your aliases?

Try putting the in a .kshrc file and add the following line to you
.profile

ENV=$HOME/.kshrc;export ENV

It has to do with when .profile and .kshrc are sourced and under what
conditions.

Cheers,
Ted Loeffelholz
Caterpillar Inc

1. tcsh aliases fail to execute properly

Running tcsh on a Sun SPARC 5 under SunOS Release 4.1.4,
I have the following aliases established:

alias tinc 'cp ~/.newsrc.cpcug ~/.newsrc; tin; cp ~/.newsrc ~/.newsrc.cpcug'
alias tinn 'cp ~/.newsrc.nal ~/.newsrc; tin; cp ~/.newsrc ~/.newsrc.nal'

For each alias, the first two steps always execute properly, but
the last step is unreliable.  Sometimes the step is executed,
other times it isn't.  Any insight as to what might account
for this behavior and how to solve the problem would be
very much appreciated.

--

William B. Feidt (Bill)  NG3K

http://www.cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/

2. newbie question: how to select network config at boot?

3. Alias fails

4. TIME_WAIT

5. csh alias fails on AIX

6. How to scan the subject line in Unix mail

7. aliases, aliases, aliases...

8. damn grub revised

9. script alias problem - Re: apache alias and script alias problem

10. Desperate problem, aliased ip randomly fails

11. Unusual bug! named failing on remote aliases (CNAME)

12. ppp -alias makes rlogin fail

13. Use of "alias" in .tcshrc Failing?