Retrieving files from damaged tape? (dump/restore)

Retrieving files from damaged tape? (dump/restore)

Post by Trip Mart » Sun, 31 Oct 1993 09:38:35

Is there any way to retrieve files from a backup made with dump which
has developed read errors?  Restore manages to get about a third of
the files before giving up completely.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

(If it matters any, this is a sun 3/80 running 4.1.1, and the tape
drive is a 250mb cartridge tape drive.)
--
Trip Martin

1. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

Hi,

I have performed dump of several partitions on a type in a Mammoth
drive. Then I tried to look at them by "restore", and I could access the
first partition. After that I ran "restore" once again, and I expected
that I would see the list of the files in the second partition. Instead,
all I got was the message "Tape is not a dump tape". When I ran "mt
status", it showed that I still am at the file 0. I also could not
advance by "mt fsf" - it exits immediately, and the status is the same.

I tried to backup two small directories, and I had no trouble restoring
them later. But when I backup whole partitions, I keep getting this
error.

I have Redhat 6.1.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Simon
--
 _________

| y = e   |                                    (current address)
|_________|   Life is file...
http://www.simonf.com

Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

2. Unix Menu GUI ( Graphical )

3. unix dump: dumped twice to same dumpfile; restore if file displays only last dump

4. Where can i get the bibaries GATED?

5. Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape

6. Need Help with FS reorg

7. restoring files from V old dump tape

8. Strange Bash error

9. dump/restore:can't find 2nd file on tape

10. Amanda -> amrestore / restore problem 'Tape is not a dump Tape'

11. Retrieving an individual file from a tape containing more than 1 file

12. DUMP/RESTORE File -> TAR File Converter?

13. Failed to retrieve sequential file during RMAN restore to alternate node