Directory Link

Post by Xavier LENOI » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 22:28:41

Hello to everybody,

I have a (newbie ?) question !
I'm working on a HP-UX 11.0 sytem and trying to use the symbolic link
feature ("ln -s")

Here is the point :
For testing purpose, I create a directory in the current directory, for
example "toto" : mkdir toto
In the same directory, I create a link to this directory : ln -s toto aaa.
Every thing works fine and I can destroy the link with "rm aaa" which, of
course, does not
destroy the directory "toto".

But, I have serious problems when I made a link to another directory in the
same file sytem :
      "ln -s /home/portfolio_1/pub RapCirc"
      "lrwxrwxrwx   1 transfer   best            21 Sep  6 13:02 RapCirc ->
/home/portfolio_1/pub"
The link works fine but :
    1) I start an ftp session in Internet Explorer with a "normal" user :

        I cannot see the link in the window but can open it directly

        I start an ftp session in Internet Explorer with root :

        Why can I not see the link with a normal user ?

    2) If I try to destroy the link (rm RapCirc), it refuses with the
message : "rm: RapCirc/ directory" !
        If  I unlink the link (unlink RapCirc/), It destroys everything
including the link directory (/home/portfolio_1/pub/)
        I don't know how to remove the link without touching the target
directory

It is perhaps some really basic questions but I really don't understand.
I have read the man pages and it does not help.

Please help me !
Regards,

Xavier
As I'm french, I apologize for my poor english !

Directory Link

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 23:54:43

>But, I have serious problems when I made a link to another directory in the
>same file sytem :
>      "ln -s /home/portfolio_1/pub RapCirc"
>      "lrwxrwxrwx   1 transfer   best            21 Sep  6 13:02 RapCirc ->
>/home/portfolio_1/pub"
>The link works fine but :
>    1) I start an ftp session in Internet Explorer with a "normal" user :

>        I cannot see the link in the window but can open it directly

>        I start an ftp session in Internet Explorer with root :

>        Why can I not see the link with a normal user ?

Your site may be running an FTP server that puts normal users in a
"chroot", so that they can only access their own directory.

Quote:>    2) If I try to destroy the link (rm RapCirc), it refuses with the
>message : "rm: RapCirc/ directory" !

Are you sure you didn't type "rm RapCirc/"?  The "/" at the end will cause
it to follow the link and try to destroy the directory it points to, rather
than the link itself.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

Directory Link

Post by Xavier LENOI » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:16:28

First many thanks for your answer !

But :

1) I am quite sure that the ftp server does not do a "chroot"  for normal
user.
    Don't forget that  I don't see the link (with

2)  I did not type "rm RapCirc/" but "rm RapCirc" without "/" !
     I have thought that the "/" may cause a problem....

Again, I really need your help...

Thanks
Xavier

> >But, I have serious problems when I made a link to another directory in
the
> >same file sytem :
> >      "ln -s /home/portfolio_1/pub RapCirc"
> >      "lrwxrwxrwx   1 transfer   best            21 Sep  6 13:02
RapCirc ->
> >/home/portfolio_1/pub"
> >The link works fine but :
> >    1) I start an ftp session in Internet Explorer with a "normal" user :

> >        I cannot see the link in the window but can open it directly

> >        I start an ftp session in Internet Explorer with root :

> >        Why can I not see the link with a normal user ?

> Your site may be running an FTP server that puts normal users in a
> "chroot", so that they can only access their own directory.

> >    2) If I try to destroy the link (rm RapCirc), it refuses with the
> >message : "rm: RapCirc/ directory" !

> Are you sure you didn't type "rm RapCirc/"?  The "/" at the end will cause
> it to follow the link and try to destroy the directory it points to,
rather
> than the link itself.

> --

> Genuity, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

group.

Directory Link

Post by Xavier LENOI » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:22:48

Ooops,

You were right !
For the second point, I use "rm RapCirc/" with the "/".
When I try "rm RapCirc", it just works fine...
Sorry, I am stupid  and must be more careful.

Anyway, I still do not understand the first point (invisible link in an ftp
session
into Internet Explorer)

:

> > >        I cannot see the link in the window but can open it directly

> > >        I start an ftp session in Internet Explorer with root :

> > >        Why can I not see the link with a normal user ?

> > Your site may be running an FTP server that puts normal users in a
> > "chroot", so that they can only access their own directory.

> > >    2) If I try to destroy the link (rm RapCirc), it refuses with the
> > >message : "rm: RapCirc/ directory" !

> > Are you sure you didn't type "rm RapCirc/"?  The "/" at the end will
cause
> > it to follow the link and try to destroy the directory it points to,
> rather
> > than the link itself.

> > --

> > Genuity, Burlington, MA
> > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
> newsgroups.
> > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
> group.

Directory Link

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 02:28:29

>Anyway, I still do not understand the first point (invisible link in an ftp
>session
>into Internet Explorer)

Does it also happen when you use another browser, like Netscape, or an FTP
client?  If not, it sounds like a bug in IE.  If it does, what FTP daemon
are you running?

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

1. Directory link

[...]

2. Need qt1g and qt1g-dev packages...

3. Dlink DE220 cards

4. IRIX 5.3: cannot remove strange directory - link count 3 but empty

5. Mounting NetWare Server (??)

6. Directory Link

7. Problems with 64 port async's on RS/6000

8. Solaris Directory Linking

9. Hard Directory Links "Operation Not Permitted"

10. Kdevelop mutil directories link problem

11. Directory Link

12. Q: copy directory (containing links) as directory (as files)