8MM and 4MM Tapes/Tape Drives

Post by ART J. VON DOH » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know which cleaning method (dry or wet) is better/preferred
over the other? Which is more harmful?

Is there a tape certifier device available to certify 8MM, 4MM, or both?

Is there a tape cleaner device available for 8MM, 4MM. or both?

Is there a utility available to test the tapes if a certifier is unavailable?

We are experiencing numerous tape drive problems/errors while running backups
which cause us in the long run to replace the tape drives possibly sooner than
necessary.

Any info is appreciated.

I find it hard to believe that my site is the only one to experience this
problem or similiar problem(s).

Again, any help will be appreciated.

Artie Von Dohre
Systems Analyst
Open Systems Support

8MM and 4MM Tapes/Tape Drives

Post by Michael Moh » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Does anyone know which cleaning method (dry or wet) is better/preferred
> over the other? Which is more harmful?
> We use both methods here, and I don't see any significant difference.

From the information I've received, the only concern regarding the wet
method is the evaporation time for the cleaning solution.  I've
discovered 2-3 minutes is quite safe.

Quote:> Is there a tape certifier device available to certify 8MM, 4MM, or both?

> Is there a tape cleaner device available for 8MM, 4MM. or both?
> Tape cleaner/certifiers are available, but COSTLY.  One site I worked at

had one of those gizmos.  We discovered that it was cheaper to watch the
write errors count and make the determination for replacement of the tape
 than attempt to clean and certify the tape.

Quote:> Is there a utility available to test the tapes if a certifier is unavailable?
> This is one I've been checking with multiple sources.  In a nutshell, the

answer is write your own.

Quote:> We are experiencing numerous tape drive problems/errors while running backups
> which cause us in the long run to replace the tape drives possibly sooner than
> necessary.
> Your tape drives may not necessarily be at fault.  Sometimes, it's the

media.  Almost every supplier will say their product is the best.  News
groups like this provide the best forum.  Personally, I like Exabyte for
8mm and Maxell for 4mm.  Any other votes?

Information Technology Group      === Phone: 64 9 307-9999 x8133
Auckland Institute of Technology  === Fax:   64 9 307-9901
PO Box 92006, Auckland, New Zealand =
If we have unlimited ability to think, why do we use computers?

Post by bill davids » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

| Does anyone know which cleaning method (dry or wet) is better/preferred
| over the other? Which is more harmful?

Don't think it make a lot of difference, wet is probably better, but
either seems to work.

| Is there a tape certifier device available to certify 8MM, 4MM, or both?
|
| Is there a tape cleaner device available for 8MM, 4MM. or both?
|
| Is there a utility available to test the tapes if a certifier is unavailable?

Each vendor will recommend a number of passes for a tape, but I
usually am conservative, since tapes are relatively cheap compared
to the cost of errors.

| We are experiencing numerous tape drive problems/errors while running backups
| which cause us in the long run to replace the tape drives possibly sooner than
| necessary.

Having run lots of backups on both 4mm and 8mm tape, and having
virtually no probalmes ever, I would suspect your environment.

| I find it hard to believe that my site is the only one to experience this
| problem or similiar problem(s).

When I was at GE we used 8mm, with one group I ran using 4mm. At TMR
I use 4mm, and at client sites a mix of 4mm and 8mm is used. A tape
problem once every 1000 backups is what I estimate the error rate to
be, based on 2 failures in a year on 8 drives, backing up every
working day.

I'd like to know what other people see.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch

Post by JCP » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> | We are experiencing numerous tape drive problems/errors while running backups
> | which cause us in the long run to replace the tape drives possibly sooner than
> | necessary.

> | I find it hard to believe that my site is the only one to experience this
> | problem or similiar problem(s).

Using an EXABYTE V-juke tape backup machine, we had errors nearly nightly.  It was
running on it's own software and would complain that tapes were no good.  The two
other SAs and myself were dreading the on-call rotation.  Nightly backups were a
nightmare.

Then we installed the Legato Networker software.  It replaces the V-juke's software.
Since then, we have had so few errors that we almost never get paged.  So, I am betting
that your problem has less to do with your tapes and more to do with your backup system.

We use the EXABYTE dry cleaning tapes.  Sometimes the first backup run after a cleaning
will fail.  So what we do is run a dummy backup right after the cleaning.  If everything
goes ok, then the nightlies will too.  If not, we do it again until it does.

I hope this helps.

John Pavao

Post by bill davids » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

| Then we installed the Legato Networker software.  It replaces the V-juke's software.
| Since then, we have had so few errors that we almost never get paged.  So, I am betting
| that your problem has less to do with your tapes and more to do with your backup system.

This matches my feeling that the hardware is quite reliable.

| We use the EXABYTE dry cleaning tapes.  Sometimes the first backup run after a cleaning
| will fail.  So what we do is run a dummy backup right after the cleaning.  If everything
| goes ok, then the nightlies will too.  If not, we do it again until it does.

Well, I find it a useful tip, I've never had this problem with any
of my systems, but it's worth checking the drive after cleaning,
although I think a dd of a raw disk partition would probably do as
well as a dump for testing the drive.