NFS: Stale File Handle error

Post by Tim Bulle » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'm new to NFS, and had to umount a cd from one of the main servers in our
organization the other day. /cdrom was mounted remotely on a bunch of
workstations in /tmp_mnt, so I had to edit the /cdrom entry out of
/etc/exports to get it down... now all the workstations are giving me "NFS
error: Stale File Handle" at the /cdrom mount point... 1) How can I get
rid of this? and 2) How can I prevent it from happening in the future when
I need to dismount the cd. Just point me in the right direction... do I
need to modify /etc/fstab on each workstation, or can I make the
automounter do all this... my boxes are all running SunOS 4.x. TIA,

        Tim

====

Systems Manager                                  Office: Snow Hall 643
Math Department, University of Kansas              Phone: 913-864-7311

NFS: Stale File Handle error

Post by Bill Callaha » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

==========Tim Buller, 9/29/96==========

Quote:>I'm new to NFS, and had to umount a cd from one of the main
>servers in our
>organization the other day. /cdrom was mounted remotely on a bunch of
>workstations in /tmp_mnt, so I had to edit the /cdrom entry out of
>/etc/exports to get it down... now all the workstations are
>giving me "NFS
>error: Stale File Handle" at the /cdrom mount point... 1) How can I get
>rid of this? and 2) How can I prevent it from happening in the
>future when
>I need to dismount the cd. Just point me in the right direction... do I
>need to modify /etc/fstab on each workstation, or can I make the
>automounter do all this... my boxes are all running SunOS 4.x. TIA,

A Stale File Handle occurs when a file or directory represented
by a handle
is removed by one client while another client still has it open.
ie
client 1                client2

% cd /home/usr
               % cd /home
               % rm -rf usr1
% ls

You will have to unmount the cd from each workstation first to
prevent this from happening.
Then the cd will unmount and the workstations will not be looking for it.

Bill Callahan
Standard Disclaimer of my opinion.

Quote:>     Tim

====

Systems Manager                                  Office: Snow Hall 643
Math Department, University of Kansas              Phone: 913-864-7311

Bill Callahan

You just can't tap people on the shoulder anymore. You have
to hit them with a sledge hammer. Then you will notice that
you have thier complete attention. - John Doe - Seven

NFS: Stale File Handle error

Post by Ken Bi » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>1) How can I get rid of this?

The following (if I remember the order right) usually works
($FS=filesystem that you wish to unstale):

        # umount $FS            # probably print a warning
        # mount -o remount $FS  # probably print a warning
        # mount $FS             # should not complain

--

Global Technology Center - Silicon Graphics, Inc. - Mountain View, California